Lucerne-Interlaken Express – both directions?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 5:50:53 #816815

Hi,

Does this run in reverse direction too? When i checked in SBB timetable – it shows Interlaken OST to Lucerne as well. I believe it would be the same as going from Lucerne – Interlaken only that we may need to sit on our left to see good views till we reach Meiringen – as per below link.

http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere

Another practical question, I will be with my luggage but I understand that there is no need to change trains so if I don’t get off at any stations – it should be ok? (I am travelling to Zurich from Interlaken OST)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 7:58:43 #889076

>> Does this run in reverse direction too?

Yes, the Luzern-Interlaken Express runs in both directions between Luzern and Interlaken Ost.

>> Interlaken OST to Lucerne as well … only that we may need to sit on our left to see good views till we reach Meiringen

The best views are as follows:

Direction Luzern-Interlaken Ost

• Luzern-Meiringen – right
    • Meiringen-Interlaken Ost – left

Direction Interlaken Ost-Luzern

• Interlaken Ost-Meiringen – right
    • Meiringen-Luzern – left

So whether you start from Luzern or Interlaken Ost, sit on the right. At Meiringen the train changes direction, so if you were sitting on the right at the beginning of your journey, you will be on the left after Meiringen (which is still the best side for the remainder of the trip, regardless of which direction you are travelling in).

>> Another practical question, I will be with my luggage but I understand that there is no need to change trains so if I don’t get off at any stations – it should be ok? (I am travelling to Zurich from Interlaken OST)

You don’t need to change trains between Interlaken Ost and Luzern. If you are travelling to Zürich, you will need to change trains at Luzern.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 8:21:33 #889077

Thanks a lot. This made it really easy for me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 8:32:55 #889078

I have 2nd class STP.

Do i need to make reservations on this section 1 to get the desired seat?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 11:03:08 #889079

The best scenery is on the right (INterlaken to Luzern) as suggested by Alpenrose…The trip is definitely worth a few clicks . The train is blessed with a cozy and quiet dining car that serves come good latte with an assorted menu of delicious desserts . Worth a bite as you navigate the scenic route .

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 13:08:45 #889080

You should be fine without a reservation on that train. It runs frequently and is the standard (only) train on that route. So it isn’t a special train everyone is waiting for so to speak.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 3:43:54 #889081

>> Do i need to make reservations on this section 1 to get the desired seat?

From another of your posts, I understand you are travelling in mid-July with your mother. If you want window seats on the best side of the train, and to be seated together, I would reserve seats on the sector between Interlaken Ost and Luzern.

Even when the train is half empty on scenic routes, the first people who board the train tend to occupy all the window seats.

For the small reservation charge, I think it is worthwhile to reserve so you can select your preferred seats ahead of time.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Lucerne-Interlaken Express – both directions?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.