4 or 8-day Swiss Pass for Lucerne-Interlaken-Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2017 at 13:46:49 #811298

Hello! We are travelling to Switzerland in July and would love your opinion as to our plans.

We will be arriving in Zurich and travelling by train to Lucerne to stay 3days and go to Mt.Rigi, Rhine Falls from second day whilst we are at Luzern.

Then we will move to Interlaken in the evening of third day for 4 nights, and will go to Gindelwald, lake Thun, Lauterbrunnen. We will also be travelling Italy for 5 days so will be catching a train from Interlaken to Milano.

I would like to know if we need to get 8 days Swiss pass or 4 days and buy separate tickets for zurich-luzern and interlaken-grindelwald, interlaken-milano. or will there be other passes that we should get?

(i didnt make it very clear but we are in switzerland from 3-9 and will be going to milano on 9th morning!)

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 April 2017 at 5:35:14 #861078

Hello Jihyunfl, and thank you for joining MySwissAlps!

A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass would require you to buy regular tickets on 3 more days. That may work if you don’t do anything else (boats, cableways, museums) on those days, but I’d recommend to do the math as explained here to be sure.

I’m not sure what time you arrive but if it’s not too late you can visit the Rhine Falls before going to Luzern. That saves you two hours of traveling compared to visiting them from Luzern. If you don’t have a pass that day it would not work price wise, but if you pick the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass this is included.

Another option to consider is the Swiss Half Fare Card, if you don’t mind buying tickets for each trip. Apart from a rail pass for Switzerland you need a ticket from the Italian border (Domodossola) to Milan. For details, please see:

• The thread ‘4 or 8-day Swiss Pass for Lucerne-Interlaken-Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.