Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt – Swiss Travel Pass

• Ramesh10
    Participant
    7 posts
    27 March 2023 at 16:03:11 #829429

We are planning a 5-day trip to Switzerland, starting with 2 days in Lucerne and 3 days in Interlaken (including a day trip to Zermatt). We are having difficulty planning our itinerary as there are so many places to visit and explore. It would be greatly appreciated if the team could provide some suggestions for must-see attractions in these areas.

Our requirements and information are as follows:

1.We will be purchasing a Swiss Pass for 5 days and would like to know which attractions in Lucerne, Interlaken, and Zermatt are covered by the pass or offer discounts.

2.We intend to make full use of the Swiss Pass to minimize expenses.

3.While there are many links and threads available online, we find it confusing and would appreciate the team’s suggestions.

4.Our travel dates are from April 20th to April 25th, with 2 days in Lucerne and 3 days in Interlaken (including a day trip to Zermatt). We will have the Swiss Pass in hand.

5.Our accommodations have already been booked.

Thank you in advance for your help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6373 posts
    27 March 2023 at 17:33:36 #952666

Hi Ramesh10,

Here is a list of excursions fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass:

Lucerne – Rigi, Stanserhorn, Stoos, Brunni and Klewenalp

Interlaken – boat trips on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz, Ballenberg Open Air Museum, Thun Castle, Sherlock Holmes Museum (Meiringen), trains to Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Grindelwald, Mürren.

With the Swiss Travel Pass you can also travel for free on the Lucerne-Interlaken Express on the Golden Pass route between Lucerne and Interlaken, and on the Regio Lotschberger train from Spiez to Brig (enroute to Zermatt).

You can download the Swiss Travel Pass validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Hope this helps in some ways to plan your itinerary.

Regards,

Anna

Ramesh10
    Participant
    7 posts
    28 March 2023 at 5:54:13 #952667

Hi Anna ,

Thanks for the information and suggestions , so now I have one more question like how do we use this swiss pass for eg : if we take Rugi as mentioned above for Lucerne if check that it routes and says like

“Tickets for a trip up to Rigi Kulm are available online and at any staffed rail station, at the Lake Lucerne boat docks and at the ticket desks of the Rigi railways.

You can pay for each separate cogwheel or cable car leg. Alternatively, you can get multi-day tickets. Your rail pass grants a discount or even free traveling.”

So here come my questions of how to use swiss pass.

we are staying in place named Adligenswil ,Luzern

So what steps we need to follow to go to Rigi with swiss pass like step by step so that we can plan for others in same way

as I’m bit confused how do we go with pass alone ..some where I need to book for this with pass we have if so how and where because i could see rail we can show pass in person.. but i see we need to book mountains and other stuff prior like that…can you please guide on this

Anna
    6373 posts
    28 March 2023 at 7:44:15 #952668

Hi Ramesh10,

With the Swiss Travel Pass, you can travel on the mountain transportation on Rigi for free. You don’t need a ticket for the cogwheel train. You simply get on board and show the Swiss Travel Pass when requested. For rides on cable cars and gondolas, you might need a ticket to access the gates. In this case just present the Swiss Travel Pass at the counter and you will be issued with free tickets or access cards. You can find more details about how to use the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Ramesh10
    Participant
    7 posts
    3 April 2023 at 9:25:11 #952669

Hi Anna ,

Thanks for that info and also I wanted to know few more info on using swiss pass

“With the Swiss Travel Pass you can also travel for free on the Lucerne-Interlaken Express on the Golden Pass route between Lucerne and Interlaken, and on the Regio Lotschberger train from Spiez to Brig (enroute to Zermatt) “

so here do I need to reserve the seat in Lucerne-Interlaken Express and pay for it or with swiss pass its free again ?

and also need suggestion on places in Lucerne and Interlaken which we can see after 16.00 or 17.00 which can be covered within that day as

20th we will reach Lucerne stay place only around 16.o0

22nd in Interlaken around 13.00 , we don’t want to spend our rest of the day in Airbnb. any suggestion as we will be having swiss pass as well

Thanks

Ramesh

Anna
    6373 posts
    3 April 2023 at 17:40:28 #952670

Hi Ramesh10,

Seat reservation on the Lucerne-Interlaken Express and the Regio Lotschberger is not required (see https://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets and https://www.myswissalps.com/lotschberger/tickets). And you don’t need tickets if you have a Swiss Travel Pass.

Things to do in Lucerne after 16.00 – most of the mountaintop destinations close around 5pm. I recommend a leisurely walk in the old town or go on an evening cruise on Lake Lucerne.

regards,

Anna

Ramesh10
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 April 2023 at 16:23:17 #952671

Hi Anna ,

Thanks a lot for all clearing all my queries and doubts which helped lot to finally come with up itinerary for our 1st swiss visit , so pasting below my itinerary and please suggest if anything to be modified

Travelling from fluorene to Lucerne ( With Swiss pass for whole trip )

Day 1 : – Reaching Stay place in Lucerne around 14.00 and planning to explore after 16.00 ( Should we take Lake Lucerne cruises after or city walk ) , if cruises which is better with swiss pass and since we start aft 16.00 or stick with city walk

Day 2: Rigi ( Classic Round Trip) I hope it will take one day

Day 3 : Reaching Interlaken ( Lucerne-Interlaken Express ) using swiss pass around 13.00 – Again what can been seen after 14.00 for that remaining day . should we go to GRINDELWALD and see that and keep only JUNGFRAUJOCH or any other can be covered wit pass for free

Day 4: GRINDELWALD & JUNGFRAUJOCH

Day 5 : Travelling to Zermatt from Interlaken and return back to Interlaken for stay as we booked stay here for 3 days

Day 6 : Morning leaving to Paris

Thanks

Ramesh

Yolanda
    2352 posts
    5 April 2023 at 9:04:29 #952672

Hello Ramesh,

Day 1, Both are lovely activities to be enjoyed. You could probably do both as the evenings are getting longer at the moment. Cruises can last from as little as an hour to 3 hours, or more. I always think a walk around a city is always interesting too. Do take a look at the links, Anna provided you earlier.

Day 2, Yes, ample time for a visit to Rigi. https://www.myswissalps.com/rigi/gettingthere

Day 3, Do to use the timetable link https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable
    so you can gauge timings and see what would be doable from 13.00. Grindelwald is certainly doable but if you are already going there on Day 4, it may be nice to explore a little of Interlaken. You could visit Harder Kulm, your trip on the funicular would be discounted with your Swiss Travel Pass. Or if you wanted to take (another) boat trip, you could from Interlaken: trips on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz are included with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Days 4 to 6, are good to run with.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Useful links:

• The thread ‘Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt – Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.