Lucerne itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 18:48:56 #815153

hello, I have planned my 7 nights itinerary with the suggestions/reviews I read on this forum. This is the best Switzerland forum I have come across. Keep it up and all the best!

I need help on a small part of my trip. I have 3 complete days in Lucerne and below is my itinerary

Day 1 – Lake Lucerne, Rigi and Lucerne town

Day 2 – Titlis

Day 3 – I have 2 options

option 1: just Stanserhorn

option 2: Pilatus & Rhine Falls

my questions are:

1. Can you please suggest if option 2 is really feasible to do, I have seen the train timings and looks doable as per the timings I see on SBB but wanted to get an expert advice if really it can be done without any hassle and rush, looking to spend 1 hour (not incl. travelling times) in each site

2. I am already doing Titlis, Rigi (when I am in Lucerne) and Schilthorn (when I am in Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights), so will I see something different/exciting in Stanserhorn (except open cable car from top). I understand that each mountains are different but I am already covering 3 mountains, so if I want to see Rhine falls (which will be different experience as I haven’t seen a fall yet) then I have to go with option 2 as I cannot club Rhine falls with Stanserhorn as its far to cover and come back to Lucerne. Also to add further, I am including Pilatus with Rhine falls just to fill in my 3rd day (any other suggestions if Pilatus to be skipped?)

thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 April 2018 at 7:07:47 #881017

Hi Hermanshu –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps. Nice to have enough time to enjoy any particular location.

If you like to hike, this thread may give you some ideas. It has some photos taken around the southern part of the lake, ( called in German, der Urnersee, from Canton Uri) as well as discussing hiking:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Everyone has their own favorites, but I’ll comment that Pilatus is a bit different experience from some other Swiss mountains because of the cog rail railway. A few photos of widely varying vintaghe are attached.

Also, the Rhine Falls are powerful, but I like the high thin beautiful ones near Lauterbrunnen better. However, we don’t know when you are traveling, and it makes a difference. Water flow in all of the waterfalls is at its strongest in the Spring…rains and snow melt. By September, all are much diminished.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/valley-of-the-72-waterfalls-lauterbrunnen-stechelberg.html

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 7:10:28 #881018

Hello Hemanshu and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

When are you travelling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 11:11:54 #881019

Hi Slowpoke, we are not into hiking, just a stroll. thanks for sharing the pictures. I will be in Lucerne from 22 to 26 May (having 23 to 25 May full day in hand). When in Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights I am already doing Trummelbach and Staubbach Falls. I have a questions here, we are going to arrive Lauterbrunnen on 19th around 5pm, so can we do any of the falls that day so that we can add another fall when we are visiting Schilthorn next day or is it too much to cover in one day? Or can we do both the falls and Schilthorn in one day? It seems all the 3 are in same route. Another question is, can we go in the fall/water and are there any fees to see the falls?

And if we are doing these falls then there is no need to do Rhine falls? thank you!

Hi Rockoyster, I will be in Lucerne from 22 to 26 May (having 23 to 25 May full day in hand). thank you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 April 2018 at 14:24:36 #881020

Hi Hemanshu –

Good time of year for waterfalls. The snow has a long way to go to finish melting up above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Up at 2000 meters, it is the tail end of winter and hiking trails generally will still be blocked by snow. Good thing that you are not hikers. 😉 Although the valley floor will likley be free of snow and quite pleasant by late May. Much lower altiyude…about 800 meters.

Although, at the altitude of Luzern and the other major cities, typicaly more like 400 meters, Spring will be well advanced.

If you come back a month later, you could take this easy spectacular stroll. 😉

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

The Lauterbrunnen Valley falls are visible along the bus/ walking route from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg in many places. And, you can go up to Schilthorn from Stechelberg. So, you can walk and ride as you wish if you choose that route.. The bus ride takes 18-19 minutes and makes 9 or 10 stops, including one at Trümmelbach Falls That one requires an bit of an excursion. You can go inside and get wet. Or, wear raingear. 😉

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/valley-of-the-72-waterfalls-lauterbrunnen-stechelberg.html

http://www.truemmelbachfaelle .ch/e/

Trümmelbach opens in April.

Staubach Falls are quite close to Lauterbrunnen. Less than a kilometer away.

<<“so if I want to see Rhine falls (which will be different experience as I haven’t seen a fall yet)”>>

That statement poses a dilemma for me. There is a wide range of opinions about the Rhine Falls on this forum. If you truly have never seen a waterfall, then the Rhine Falls in the Spring, with heavy water flow, may well be worth the trip The dilemma is that the Rhine Falls failed to impress us when we visited. However, I have seen Niagara Falls in Canada, and the USA, which are much more impressive. So my usual comment is “If you have seen other waterfall, then perhaps you should look for something that Switzerland does particularly well- like the Alps.”

Others have been more impressed than I, and occasionallly I have been accused ofbeing too negative about the Rhine Falls.

Still, I personally would find something else.

Not sure if it would appeal, but if you have any interest in Swiss history, you might like Schwyz. Off the beaten track, for sure.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/schwyz-and-the-ital-reding-house

Slowpoke

Where else will you be in Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 15:01:36 #881021

thank you, your suggestions are helpful.

As Trummelbach is only till 5pm, I suppose Schilthorn and 2 falls can be achieved in one day if we start early. So start early go to Schilthorn > Trummelbach > Staubbach > Lauterbrunnen way back.

1. Entrance fee to Lauterbrunnen is covered in Swiss travel pass? I think no but just wanted to check

2. Assuming there is no fee to see Staubbach fall

3. How is the weather in end of May, my question is more inclined to the type of clothes we have to bring. Moderate and no big jackets right?

4. How is the daylight end of May so that I can plan my day accordingly.

5. Pilatus and Rhine falls together in one day seems possible without any rush? Also Stanserhorn and Titlis together in one day as its in same route and if we start early?

6. Basically, I have 3 full days in Lucerne and I have kept 1 day for Lucerne town, Lucerne lake and Rigi. For other 2 days I still need to decide and have Stanserhorn, Titlis, Pilatus and Rhine falls in my list, so any suggestions and what can be clubbed together?

London to Basel > Lauterbrunnen (2 nights) > Brig to St. Moritz (GEX) > 1 night in St. Moritz > next day St. Moritz to Tirano (BEX), same day go to Lucerne > 4 nights in Lucerne

Note: We are 2 in our early 30s

Thank you for taking out time and replying to my post!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 15:02:51 #881022

Hi Rockoyster, I will be in Lucerne from 22 to 26 May (having 23 to 25 May full day in hand). thank you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 April 2018 at 15:11:22 #881023

.Here is a partial answer:

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/swit zerland/lauterbrunnen

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

and, follow the links on that page.

<<“Pilatus and Rhine falls together in one day seems possible without any

rush? Also Stanserhorn and Titlis together in one day as its in same

route and if we start early?”>>

It’s up to you. Depends how much time you choose to spend at each location. You have already figured out the train schedule.

http://www.titlis.ch/en

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

Stanserhorn is a nice ride and has good views. I’ve not been up there for a few years, but, when I was there, there was a restaurant and scenery. Titlis has more options.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 16:31:34 #881024

Hi Hemanshu,

1. Entrance fee to Lauterbrunnen? What do you mean? The Swiss Travel Pass covers the train to Lauterbrunnen if that is what you mean
    2. No, it is just a waterfall you see in Lauterbrunnen.
    3. Big jackets may be useful at the mountain tops. I would just layer nicely with a windbreaker. It should be fairly pleasant in Lauterbrunnen. 🙂
    4. Slowpoke got you there
    5. A little rushed…but doable if you want to!
    6. Stanserhorn and Pilatus are quite close to each other. Personally I wouldn’t bother with the Rheinfalls, especially from Luzern.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 16:43:10 #881025

thank you Slowpoke for your reply. The sunrise and sunset link was very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 16:58:43 #881026

Hi Lucas,

I mean Trummelbach and not Lauterbrunnen

As per SBB its only 1 hour 50 mins one way to Rhine falls. I think if I start early go to Pilatus (spend 30-45 mins at the top) and then leave for Rhine falls, isn’t his doable or recommended? I can be there around 2-3pm, spend time till 5pm and then come back to Lucerne by 7 or 8pm. I understand this can be little rush but doable?

I can only club Rhine falls with Pilatus hence I am thinking of doing Stanserhorn and Titlis together only if its doable.

thank you for your reply.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 April 2018 at 17:33:14 #881027

Hi hemanshu –

Lucas wrote:

<<” Personally I wouldn’t bother with the Rheinfalls, especially from Luzern. “>>

That is generally my attitude. Long ride for a modest benefit.

Your day 1 is certainly possible, but will be rushed if you try to do more than ride the lake boat to/from Vitznau. The southern part of the lake is very nice…in my opinion. much nicer than the northern part. That is why I sent you that link about the hike…for the pictures. You might take the train to Flüelen and ride the boat north to Vitznau, for example.

Where else will you be in Switzerland? I hesitate to recommend options until I understand where you might be on other days.

For example, I’d substitute Bern for Rhine Falls, myself. Easier to get to , and much more to see.

And, I’d be able to find enough to fill a day in Luzern itself, but, except that you are not hikers, we don’t know whether you have any other special interests? They would help guide suggestions for options.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 19:21:52 #881028

It is really up to you about what is doable personally – what is rushed for me might not be for you etc.

You can use the timetable to see the train schedules for Luzern to Pilatus and then Pilatus to Rheinfall (Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall train stop).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 19:27:16 #881029

Thank you Lucas, I have never been to Switzerland, so I am only deciding based on the timings I see on SBB site and keeping an additional hour just in case. I understand your point, well taken but reality can be very different from what I am deciding sitting on couch hence depending on any advice or suggestions I get. Thanks for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 19:31:04 #881030

Hello Slowpoke,

I will look at Flüelen further.

Below is my plan,

London to Basel > Lauterbrunnen (2 nights), here I have just 1 full day where I will be visiting Schilthorn and 2 waterfalls > Brig to St. Moritz

(GEX) > 1 night in St. Moritz > next day St. Moritz to Tirano

(BEX), same day go to Lucerne > 4 nights in Lucerne

We do not have any special interest. Already doing 2 scenic trains, 3-4 mountains, lake. We love to travel and see scenic nature, no museums and indoor activities. Thank you for your suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 19:44:20 #881031

Of course Hemanshu – no worries!

My advice, and Slowpoke’s, was that the Rheinfall isn’t worth the time and rushing around on that day. but you may decide differently! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 April 2018 at 20:20:41 #881032

Hi Hemanshu-

That’s a lot of train riding time. Those are nice trains, so it is reasonable.

What is not reasonable is to plan only one day in the Jungfrau region.

The weather in the area of those high mountains is difficult to predict and changes quickly.

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

We normally recommend that you allow at least two days, and more, if possible, to allow for weather issues. One way to do that, which may not be possible for you, is to visit Luzern and the Jungfrau Region back-to-back. Then, you can move easily on short notice. Since rooms will be readily available at the end of May, before the tourist season starts, that can work easily.

In your case, since you do not plan to take the long and expensive Jungfrau trip, you could possibly change a day at Luzern, or easily take the train over for a day trip from Luzern. Keep an eye on the up-to date weather forecasts, and look at the webcams.

If I recall corrctly, most people have better luck with Meteocentrale:

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/e n/europe/switzerland/w eather-lauterbrunnen/details/ N-3515134/

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1010222761That would work well for the Lauterbrunnen Valley, waterfalls, probably even Schilthorn, since it is easy to get up there quickly.

You could, for example, on one day go up to Wengen and Männlichen, look at the spectacular scenery, have a nice meal, walk around fr a short distance toward Kleine Scheidegg if the trail is open for the first , level, sunny stretch, and then go back down.

Or, you may be lucky on your planned day there. Then, you might be satisfied.

Either way, be aware that the weathrer comes in layers, so consult the train station or your innkeeper for the latest. It may be clear up high and foggy down below, or vice versa.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 20:41:22 #881033

thank you for your detailed reply.

Unfortunately I cannot change the dates / places now as everything is booked. I wanted to have full 2 days in Lauterbrunnen but then at the end I added one day extra in Lucerne thinking there is lot to do from there. I understand the weather can be unpredictable in those areas but we just have to live with it if we are coming only for few days. Hoping to be lucky. In this trip we are just doing the top highlights as first time visitor. Lot to do in Switzerland 🙂

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. Have a good one!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 April 2018 at 21:11:28 #881034

<<” In this trip we are just doing the top highlights as first time visitor.”>

Do not be surprised if the “top highlight” of the top of Schilthorn is not visible because of clouds. Just have your contingency plans in place.

Then, you will not have to scramble at the last minute if the weather is unfavorable..

<<“I added one day extra in Lucerne thinking there is lot to do from there. “>>

There is. So keep an eye on the weather and consider the option of going over to the Jungfrau region if the weather looks especially good.

Any way you do it, you have set up a very nice trip. Enjoy it.It’s hard to go wrong.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 22:44:38 #881035

Yes, will have some contingency in place. Meteocentrale link will be helpful.

I can’t thank you enough, appreciate your prompt responses.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 22:51:48 #881036

If you have a smartphone or tablet there is a handy MeteoSwiss app.

Webcams can be useful too – bit.ly/2pORTKs and bit.ly/2Iz5WdW and bit.ly/2Iy8adI etc.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • The thread ‘Lucerne itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.