Lucerne itinerary help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 20:39:16 #881056

Not sure exactly when you are travelling but the cable car Weggis to Rigi-Kaltbad only resumes service 28 April.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 April 2018 at 20:43:09 #881057

<<“Not sure exactly when you are travelling but the cable car Weggis to Rigi-Kaltbad only resumes service 28 April.”>>

I think that I figured it out as May 23-24-25. Summer boat schedule starts on May 26, Saturday. None of the schedules or timetable gave me any resistance while I was looking up all that stuff.

Good idea to double check, thanks.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 23:27:16 #881058

Remember you still might want to travel on a paddle steamer, which might affect your proposed timings (One steamer per day in Spring: 11.12 ex Luzern, 12.00 ex Vitznau, arr Fluelen 13.55, departs Fluelen for Luzern 14.00

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 20:04:29 #881059

@slowpoke – Thank you for your detailed explanation, it is going to help me certainly.

@rockoyster – 23-25 May, full 3 days in Lucerne..so it will be spring timings

@1960man – My first preference is paddle steamer. But looking at the timings I don’t think I can take steamboat atleast from Lucerne (North to South) as its very late (11:12pm) and I won’t be able to do Rigi on that day. Seems there is only option, start early go to rigi and get to Fluelen by train to save time by 2pm and take the complete boat ride to North, not sure if this will be doable.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2018 at 20:41:23 #881060

<<“But looking at the timings I don’t think I can take steamboat atleast

from Lucerne (North to South) as its very late (11:12pm) and I won’t be

able to do Rigi on that day. Seems there is only option, start early go

to rigi and get to Fluelen by train to save time by 2pm and take the

complete boat ride to North, not sure if this will be doable.”>>

Without looking at details, it might be possible, but there would not be much time on the Rigi.

The earliest that you could get to Rigi-Kulm is 0845, by taking the train from Luzern to Arth-Goldau at 0706 or 0718, and go up from Arth- Goldau. That route is less scenic that going up from Vitznau.

Then, you would go back down via Arth Goldau at 1204, train to Flüelen arriving at 1346. You’d sacrifice some nice lake scenery.

I’d wonder if you could fit in the cog-rail route down to Vitznau- get the views- and catch the bus that runs along the shore line to Brunnen RR station and pick up a train to Flüelen. The bus also goes through Weggis before Vitznau.

Don’t have time to check it out now, but if the connections fit together, it could work. Take a look at the time tables.Actual travel time could be as little as 1 1/2 hours ( guesstimate) not counting connection times.

Those old paddlewheelers are fun to ride.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 23:38:52 #881061

There is a way of getting up via Vitznau

Luzern: 08.06 S2 train to

Kussnacht am Rigi: 08.35 bus 2 to

Vitznau: 0915 train Vitznau – Rigi Kulm

Rigi Kulm arr 09.47

Rigi Kulm depart 11.04 or 12.04

Arth Goldau arr 11.50 or 12.50, then train (S2) at 12.25 or 13.25 to Fluelen

Fluelen arr 12.46 or 13.46

Fluelen paddle steamer depart 14.00 to Luzern

This itinerary has several advantages:

1) train Luzern – Kussnacht am Rigi gives views of lake (sit on right hand side)

2) bus Kussnacht – Vitznau also follows the lake side

3) enough time at the top of the Rigi (especially given that a lot of the scenic element of the Rigi is seen from the rack railway trains themselves on the way up and down)

4) time for lunch at the scenic boat landing stage in Fluelen if arriving at 12.46

5) that all important paddle steamer!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2018 at 0:51:44 #881062

Hi 1960man –

One more variation..

That routing indeed does work well. The disadvantage is more changes, which may or may not be to the taste of Hemanshu. The advantages are exactly as you present them.

I’d do it, and have done it in reverse,more or less, but those less experienced with the Swiss travel system may,or may not, wish to do so.

As y0u may note from my earlier pictures, the steamers are a special treat for those who like that sort of thing. My own opinion is that the trip itself is worthwhile, and its value is embellished by, but not dictated by the choice of boats.

They could also eat at Rigi Kulm.

Slowpoke

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • The thread ‘Lucerne itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.