Lucerne/Liechtenstein/Stein am Rhein from Zurich?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Cjvd
Cjvd
7 posts
Sep 6, 2019 - 4:30 AM

Hi! My thirst for advice continues...
We will have one day to spare in Zurich. We will reach there on 7th October by 10 am. Should we plan that day for Lucerne or Liechtenstein or Stein am Rhien? We will have a 7yo with us.
I have read about all of them and am unable to choose...please help :)

Thanks!

pvonk
pvonk
211 posts
Sep 6, 2019 - 2:56 PM in reply to Cjvd

It’s difficult to make suggestions without knowing your preferences. What do you like to do? Shopping, dining, visit mountains, ride trains for the scenery, view old town sections of cities, architecture?

Arno
Arno
13981 posts
expert &
Sep 6, 2019 - 3:12 PM

As Pvonk says, it depends on your interests. It may also depend on the weather so you may want to have a good and a bad weather plan. You'll find a lot of suggestions here:

I would not go to Liechtenstein as there's not much to see there, unless you have a very specific goal.

Last modified on Sep 6, 2019 - 3:13 PM by Arno
CabinJon
CabinJon
25 posts
Sep 6, 2019 - 8:47 PM

If it is going to be good weather in and around Luzern, I suggest taking the train to Luzern, hopping a boat to Vitznau, and then the train up to Mt. Rigi (2h 43min). Depending on your available time & energy, come down the same way, catch the next boat back towards Luzern, with perhaps a short stop in Weggis for a late lunch, then continue by boat back to Luzern and take the next train back to Zurich.

If you don't want to linger once at the top of Rigi, you can take the train down the other side to Arth-Goldau, then catch a train straight back to Zurich (1h 49min). Given your relatively late start from Zurich, this may be the better option. You can also get to Rigi by using this path in reverse.

We're planning on going to Liechtenstrein this October while we're in Zurich (1h 39min), but only for the "novelty" of it. And perhaps a brief stop at the Laderach Chocolate factory in Bilten on the way to or from Liechtenstein.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6602 posts
expert
Sep 7, 2019 - 12:35 AM in reply to CabinJon

Hi Cabinjon -

<<"We're planning on going to Liechtenstrein this October while we're in Zurich (1h 39min), but only for the "novelty" of it.">>

I'm curious. Could you expand a bit on your reasons? l like to collect countries, but have not yet figured out a reason to go there.

I'd go to the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen instead. But, it takes a good deal more time.

www.zeppelin-museum.de/

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Last modified on Sep 7, 2019 - 12:37 AM by Slowpoke
CabinJon
CabinJon
25 posts
Sep 7, 2019 - 12:09 PM

Slowpoke - I don't really have much to expand upon, basically just want to see a different country, especially since its so close to Zurich. Perhaps hike up to see the castle, look at the Parliament building, wander into a museum, have lunch. And collect a souvenir stamp on our passport. So, if the weather cooperates with our schedule, it is on the list.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6602 posts
expert
Sep 7, 2019 - 12:28 PM in reply to CabinJon

Sure. Why not? I like to let my curiosity roam, too.

Of course, with the diversity of cultures in Switzerland, it sometimes feels like you are going from country to country, rather than canton to canton when you actually get your feet on the ground.

Slowpoke

Cjvd
Cjvd
7 posts
Sep 7, 2019 - 5:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have decided to take a call on that day only... let's see how things proceed :)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019