Lucerne or Zurich for our last day?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
TCordz
TCordz
12 posts
Jul 24, 2018 - 9:48 PM

After three days in Wengen at the end of September, we have an open Monday before leaving from Zurich airport at 9:45 am on Wednesday. We are trying to decide whether to spend the day in Lucerne - and spend the night OR travel to Zurich for the night to be closer to the airport OR just go directly to Zurich. Neither of us have been to either city. Essentially, my question is whether we

> Spend the day in Lucerne and travel to the airport in the morning

> Spend the day in Lucerne and travel to Zurich the night before for ease of getting to the airport

> Go directly to Zurich.

Thank you for your suggestions!

NJfam
NJfam
45 posts
Jul 25, 2018 - 1:02 AM

From my experience it’s better to spend the night in Zurich as you will be closer to the airport and grab a taxi or the train based on where your hotel is. If you stay in Luzern your commute becomes much longer to the airport approx 2 hrs. If you take taxi ftom luzern adds to your cost.

You can easily spend the day in Luzern and travel to Zurich later that day. Approx 1hr by train.

Zurich you can see Uteilberg , Rhine falls

Lucas
Lucas
9883 posts
expert &
Jul 25, 2018 - 6:26 AM in reply to TCordz

Hi Ted,

All options will work for you. The closer to the airport the night before the later you can sleep in. :)

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trips and see what train departures you would have to catch from either town to get to the airport on time. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

I think most people find Lucerne more interesting than Zurich (in general) but it depends on what you might like to see and do that day.

Annika
Annika
4993 posts
expert &

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018