1.5 days in Lucerne to cover Pilatus and Titlis

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2019 at 4:55:35 #822507

Hi,

Flying to Zurich in 2 weeks time!

Will be reaching at 0815 hr and taking a train straight to Lucerne. Leaving Lucerne on Day 3 morning, which means we have half a day & 1 full day in Lucerne.

Wanting to cover Mt. Pilatus (golden trip) & Mt. Titlis for sightseeing. Not sure how much time each will take, which should I cover for each of Day 1 (around noon onward) & Day 2 (full)?

(Would assume there’s still time to take a short stroll around Lucerne in the evening of day 2.)

Thanks for your advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2019 at 13:45:40 #916273

Hi LawWS,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Pilatus is closer to Lucerne, so I would start with that on day 1. Yes, a stroll in Lucerne on day 2 should be possible. Please find more details here:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2019 at 0:24:15 #916274

<<“Which should I cover for each of Day 1 (around noon onward) & Day 2 (full)?”>>

What do you mean by “cover.”

?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2019 at 4:41:01 #916275

Slowpoke – I would say “cover” entails spending enough quality time for appreciation but not over-staying

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 June 2019 at 8:27:56 #916276

Hi LawWS –

<<“I would say “cover” entails spending enough quality time for appreciation but not over-staying”>>

I think that Arno’s advice is consistent with that.

However, there are enough options at Titlis to fill a day and then some if you choose to do the available hikes and activities.

And, Luzern and it’s environs have a variety of options that can more than fill several days, if they interest you. When cloudy weather or thunderstorms prevents a worthwhile trip up on a high mountain, they can be a good backup plan. High level clouds don’t interfere with a lake boat journey.

The timetable

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

can let you know if a boat ride to Alpnachstad to catch the cograil will fit in your afternoon, or if you should use the train. I’ve heard of long delays for the cograil in August, making the cableway from Kriens a better option on weekends then. Don’t know about July. Or, it might make a quicker return, even if you go up via the cograil.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘1.5 days in Lucerne to cover Pilatus and Titlis’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.