Scenic train ride options from Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 13:24:11 #814888

can you take a scenic train from lucerne? what your recommendation. how soon does it need to be reserved to get a seat? (2nd class).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 16:29:01 #879379

Hi Lisa,

I changed your post to lower case letters from Upper case. Please don’t worry about using all capital letters here. 🙂

You can take the Golden Pass route, it starts in Lucerne. You can take it as far as Montreux if you want or just as far as Interlaken. Read more about the Golden Pass route here.

Another option could be the Gotthard Panorama Express train to Lugano. It will depend on how much time you have and want to spend on one day. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 17:18:18 #879380

sorry about the CAPS. Sometimes i type fast looking at the keyboard and its on Caps lock without me realizing it and then i dont want to retype the whole thing. lol

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 19:52:24 #879381

No worries. I hope you have all the info you need! 🙂

Like2Travel
    Participant
    26 posts
    21 March 2018 at 22:54:31 #879382

Hello, Lisadee. If I remember right, this trip you are arranging is for your son, coming from Italy, right? You can arrange for seat reservation for trips suggested by Lucas in the reverse direction (northward) so as not to waste travel time as his final destination is Zurich (north). A lot to see in Switzerland! There is a short one on the day when your son is heading north to Lucerne. Golden Pass Line from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne. The Gothard Panorama Express suggested from Lucerne to Lugano can also be done in reverse route from Swiss-Italian border, viewing the palm tree lined Lugano to snow covered mountain peaks of the Swiss alps and some boat rides as well, a nice variety. Some boat ride maybe pulling away from the mountain view instead of getting closer to the mountain. Timing between transfers (train, bus, boat) and time spent at some stops to enjoy the view is the key to maximize the experience. I hope this helps. Thanks.

• The thread ‘Scenic train ride options from Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.