Lucerne to Chur by car in May 2021

• Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    24 April 2020 at 19:58:00 #825529

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

I posted previously about driving from Appenzell to Chur and received fantastic replies and links. I am now considering rejigging our itinerary slightly and am thinking of driving from Lucerne to Chur. Can anyone please tell me if this would cause any problems? We will most likely be travelling in May of next year.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    24 April 2020 at 20:40:06 #932264

Hi Marggy,

Hope you are well too. Good to know you are staying positive and making plans to visit next year. It is certainly possible to drive from Lucerne to Chur in May. The fastest way will take you approximately 1.5 hour. Along the way, I’d recommend a short stop at Walensee.

Don’t forget to check out our page on things to see and do in Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne

Regards,

Anna

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 April 2020 at 3:22:07 #932265

I hope that you haven’t “jigged” the Appenzell area out of your plans !

Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    25 April 2020 at 19:37:02 #932266

Thank you both for the responses. Peterli, I haven’t ‘jigged’ Appenzell out, just doing it later in the trip. What I’m finding is I’m not taking anything out but keep adding things. So far, I’ve added 4 days to the Switzerland part of our trip making it 4 weeks that we will spend in Switzerland. Anna, thanks for the tip about Walensee. I will have a look at it.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 April 2020 at 22:32:56 #932267

Hello Marggy,

You may recall that on your earlier thread about going from Appenzell to Chur, after giving you the direct route, I stated << This is the shortest and quickest route. If you have more time to do this leg of your trip, I would suggest you consider an alternate route, via Wattwil, Rapperswill, and then the A3 along south shore of the Walensee (the views along here are the big payoff of choosing this route) to Sargans at which point the route is the same as the one outlined above. >> But if you are now thinking of driving to Chur from Lucerne, you will go along the south shore (there is no road through on the north shore) and will be rewarded by lovely views to the north towards a set of sharp peaks called the Churfirsten. Believe me, it is the backdrop of the Churfirsten that makes the drive along this lake all worth it. The first attached photo does not really do justice to the steepness of these mountains, but at least it gives you an idea. The second photo shows a series of stamps issued by SwissPost in 2017 that features these mountains. I like the seeing the Churfirsten from the opposite side (from the north in the Toggenburg) and this is what shows in the third attached photo. If you find this interesting, a detour there might be worth it. Lastly, there is a Roundshot panoramic camera up on the Chäserugg. iltios.roundshot.com/ Oh, and I should mention the Chäserugg’s website: http://www.chaeserrugg.ch/en/startseite/summer.html You might consider going up there on your way to Appenzell.

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Chur by car in May 2021’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.