Lucerne to Florence with 4 day Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2019 at 11:26:36 #821166

Hi,

We’re planning to from Lucerne to Florence via Milan in September. Since we have a Swiss travel pass, I will need to buy tickets only from Chiasso – Milan – Florence. Does that mean I need to change trains at Chiasso , or can continue on the train from Lucerne to Milan without making this additional stop?

Also, would it be better to buy the Chiasso – Milan – Florence tickets earlier or on the day of travel in Lucerne station? Please advise.

-Ashritha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    23 April 2019 at 12:36:02 #910189

Hi Ashritha,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You only need to change trains if the timetable suggests that. It is not needed in your case. You will have a Swiss Travel Pass for one leg of the trip and a ticket for the other leg, so all of the trip is covered and you can stay seated.

You can best buy the Chiasso to Florence tickets in advance because you will probably save money that way, and prevent a booked out train. You find all details and place to buy the ticket from here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2019 at 4:58:30 #910190

Thanks for the response. One more question, for travelling inside Switzerland, can I buy the tickets on the day of travel at the station, considering I have a Travel Pass and most of the trains do not require reservations ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2019 at 6:06:23 #910191

Hello Ashritha,

As you hold a Swiss Travel Pass you won’t need to buy tickets for the regular Swiss trains, the journey is covered by your pass and no reservations are required on regular trains. Just hop on board and enjoy.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse

Hope this answers your question.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2019 at 6:54:34 #910192

Thanks, that helped. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2019 at 7:03:06 #910193

You’re welcome! 🙂

For detailed validity of the Swiss Travel Pass use this link, incl. a fantastic map:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Florence with 4 day Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.