Lucerne to Fluelen on April 6, 2019

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2019 at 17:33:22 #819973

My husband and I will be traveling in Switzerland in early April, which I have discovered can still be considered winter. We were hoping to take the Gotthard Panorama Express, but it will not be operating yet.

Am I reading the boat schedule correctly if we are to schedule this on our own? It would leave Lucerne at 1:12 p.m. and arrive in Fluelen at 6:41 p.m.?

13.12 Flüelen 18.41 5½h is how it reads on the timetable.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lynnette

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 February 2019 at 18:14:27 #904456

Hi Lynnette,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Well, timetables are sometimes seasonal indeed, so then early April is often still considered winter. Weather wise it will almost certainly be more like spring than winter at lower altitudes like Lake Lucerne. In the mountains it will still be cold.

1:12 PM/6:41 PM indeed translates to 13:12/18:41, but a normal boat trip from Lucerne to Flüelen would not take that long.

These pages explain about routes and timetables:

If you can’t figure it out, please let us know your exact plan for that day. You can do the entire Gotthard Panorama Express route if you like, but on regular trains rather than the Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2019 at 19:54:34 #904457

Thank you for your help! We are traveling on April 6th.

After reviewing the links, I am thinking our best move may be to take a fast train to Lugano and then enjoy a slightly warmer boat ride there since it will be early April.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2019 at 2:11:03 #904458

No, that’s the whole round trip to Fluelen and back to Luzern – all on the boat. Most people don’t do that. You get a train one way and the boat the other.

In winter there are two boats to Fluelen each day, one at 10.12 and one at 13.12. Both take 2 3/4 hours to Fluelen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2019 at 2:14:14 #904459

Note that Lake Lugano boats are also limited as early as 6 April.

However, if you do go fast to Lugano you might be able to get to Melide for Swissminiatur. Highly recommended

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issminiatur

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Fluelen on April 6, 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.