Lucerne to Grindelwald to Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 23:54:04 #812601

Dear Swiss expert

I will be in Switzerland for 5 nights from 11-16 Sep 2017 ( 2 nights in Lucerne, 2 nights in Grindelwald and 1 night in Montreux). The idea is that I can travel on the Golden Rail pass and enjoy the scenery when travelling from one base to next. I have a few questions:-

1. Should I book the tickets from Lucerne to Grindelwald and Grindelwald to Montreux in advance? I had a look at the below site to make the reservation but I don’t see Grindelwald as a destination.

tickets.goldenpass.ch/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/reservation/re servation/f?p=151:1:13317575663395 03::NO::RELOAD:N

2. Would it be better to buy Swiss Rail pass as opposed to point to point tickets? I read mixed reviews on this. Some people suggest buying a Swiss pass is handy but it may be more cost effective to buy point to point tickets. Can you please advise on this?

3. Lastly can you please offer some advise on activities I can do/things I can see while in Grindelwald and Montreux?

Bast Regards

Sahil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 July 2017 at 2:25:01 #866726

Hello Sahil and Welcome to MySwissAlps

The Golden Pass Route is made up of three sections see http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

To get to Grindelwald you need to leave the Golden Pass Route at Interlaken Ost. You can check timetables for all connections using the SBB timetable. Make sure you read how yo use it effectively here http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You don’t need reservations for any of your trip except perhaps on the Glolden Pass section between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

Whether the Swiss Travel Pass is worth it for you depends on what other use you plan to make of it. You can only be sure by comparing point-to-point fare costs to pass costs and you can do so here.

For things to do in and around Grindelwald see http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald/activities

Happy travels

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2017 at 9:11:10 #866727

Hi Sahil –

rockoyster has given you the answers to most of your questions.

I’ll add a couple of comments.

Getting Started –

On MySwissAlps, first time visitors to Switzerland can learn a lot from the introductory pages under “Getting Started” on the home page.

Specific Cities and Regions –

You specifically asked about Montreux and Grindelwald.

In general, check for the names of cities by using the search tool (top right of every page), or by using the links under “Where To Go.” Under the Towns and Cities Link, click on Explore Swiss Towns and scroll down under “Browse all Towns in Switzerland.” Many cities are on a list , so that you may not need to use the comprehensive search tool available there.

Both Grindelwald and Montreux are there, as well as Interlaken ( where you will change trains for Grindelwald) and Luzern (which is the German spelling of Lucerne (French spelling) that you will see on signs in the German-speaking regions).

In general, except for such special panoramic trains, you do not need reservations on Swiss trains within Switzerland.

And, as noted by rockoyster, and is explained further on the main Golden Pass page, you actually do not need reservations to travel on many of the trains on the Golden Pass Route.

All details are listed on the main link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

with the specific details at the more detailed link provided by rockoyster.

However, the most scenic part, with optional different types of special panoramic or historic cars , is the last west bound section from Zweisimmen to Montreux, especially after Montbovon. You have the option to reserve in those trains with special cars, and should do so, if you wish to sit in them. They fill up early, so they require reservations. It is not necessary ride the special trains, but they add to the experience. That is especially true of the trains in which you can sit at the very front of the first car.

If you use the time table as noted by rockoyster and click on the line (which is a link) for an individual journey after you enter your start and destination (use Zweisimmen and Montreux) and date and time, it will expand and tell you whether the train is Panoramic or other wise special.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Grindelwald to Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.