Lucerne to Interlaken to Zermatt- Train choices

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2012 at 2:42:44 #805099

Hello,

First of all, I just want to say reading your forum has been really useful. Thank you for all the useful information.
    I have planned my trip going around Switzerland (and will fly out to Rome).
    Just want to get your advice on my choices of trains and the passes (and other comments if any :-))
    Does a Swiss pass cover all my train routes? From reading your forum, I assume it does. Am I correct? =)
    My plan:
    – Zurich to Lucerne >> Rail (Swiss pass)
    – Lucerne to Interlaken >> Golden Pass (Brunig Panoramic Express)
    – Interlaken to Jungfrau >> Rail (Swiss pass)
    – Interlaken to Zermatt >> Lötschberg Regio Express (I am not surea about this…)
    – Zermatt to Lugano >> Bernina Express
    – Lugano to Rome >> by plane

Please help suggest. Thank you!
    Janez

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2012 at 13:47:20 #835508

I think I misunderstood. Bernina Express does not actually fir Zermatt to Lugano right? Also I am thinking of not going to Lugano. I should finish at Zermatt, staying for 2 nights. And I want to try to get a way from nearby city to Rome.

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 April 2012 at 14:54:06 #835509

Hi Janez, and welcome to the forum! I’m glad you like it.

Most of your trips will indeed be for free with your Swiss Pass. You do need additional seat reservations for the panoramic trains you have in mind: the Golden Pass and the Bernina Express. The trip to the Jungfraujoch will be discounted by 25% from Wengen or Grindelwald on. The downloadable network validity map at the Swiss Pass page shows all details.

As for the Bernina Express: that doesn’t run between Zermatt and Lugano indeed. The Bernina Express route is between Chur and Tirano (by train) and Tirano and Lugano (by bus). The quickest route from Zermatt to Lugano is via Göschenen and Bellinzona, and takes between 5 and 6 hours. You could also choose to travel from Interlaken not to Zermatt, but to Chur or St. Moritz, and to get on the Bernina Express there the next day. This issue is irrelevant though if you decide to end your trip in Zermatt. If you choose to do so, you should definitely use the Lötschberg Regio Express (enter ‘Goppenstein’ as a via-station in the timetable) instead of the quick tunnel connection to Visp. Specifics on all routes, including your outbound trip to Rome, can be found using the timetable.

By the way, our hotel pages on Zurich Airpoirt, Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and Lugano may come in handy for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2012 at 23:01:30 #835510

Thank you Annika for the very useful information. I am very much interested in the Bernina Express still…
    This is might not be too relevant but I am also trying to figure out the best way to get from Zermatt to Rome. I mean I initially planned to end my switzerland trip in Lugano because it can connect to Rome airport. Now I am struggling with finding a way to travel to Rome.
    One more thing would you highly recommend the Bernina express?and how is the view from Zermatt to Lugano via Göschenen and Bellinzona?

Thank you so much!

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 April 2012 at 11:29:49 #835511

Hi Janez. You can plan your trip to Rome by filling out Zermatt as your departure and Rome as your destination station in the timetable. Yes, the Bernina Express is beautiful, but it doesn’t really seem to fit into your plans – that is, not if you want to end your trip in Zermatt. The alternative route from Zermatt to Lugano through Göschenen is great too, especially the first part which actually runs the same route as the famous Glacier Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2012 at 11:47:10 #835512

Thanks Annika.
    And I guess the swiss pass does not give any discount on the ticket to Rome right?
    Any possible discount I can try to find?

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 April 2012 at 14:38:19 #835513

Hello Janez. The Swiss leg of your trip to Rome will be for free. Depending on your connection, the last station of validity is most probably Domodossola. So you only need an additional ticket from Domodossola to Rome.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2012 at 4:38:59 #835514

Thank you so much Annika! and thanks to this forum!
    Regards,
    Janez

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Interlaken to Zermatt- Train choices’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.