Lucerne to Paris by train, 2 adults & 2 kids

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 15:20:33 #814997

Hi,

I need to travel from Lucerne to Paris on May 22. We are 2 adults and 2 kids ( 5 & * ) and would have luggage for our 8 days europe tour.

I am getting the following as a cheap option to travel :

06:35 AM LUZERN

07:25 AM ZUERICH HB

0h 50m

Intercity 2622

07:34 AM ZUERICH HB

11:37 AM PARIS GARE LYON

4h 03m

TGV Lyria 9206

With only 9 minutes to change the train, is this a good option considering we would have 2 large trolley bags and 2 backpacks

Pls advise.

Thnx

Sanjay

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 18:24:39 #880041

Hi Sanjay, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Funny, I don’t see this one in the Swiss time table. I was curious to see on which platform you would arrive and depart.

It should be doable, but it is rush hour and it will be busy with people. I’m not sure how easy you navigate with two kids and two large trolleys.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 3:14:41 #880042

Thanks Chantal for the quick reply. I found this option on your partner website ( http://www.raileurope.co.in/) and couldn’t find the platform numbers.

I agree with your observation of this being risky to change in 9 minutes and explored alternative. I am kind of inclined to go with :

Lucerne to Zurich HB by Intercity 2620 at 610 AM followed by Zurich HB to Paris via TGV Lyria 9206 at 734 AM. This gives me almost 30 minutes to change. Is this a good option and I hope the TGV i mentioned is from same station where i arrive at from Lucerne.

Would u advise taking some other route? I checked the options through Basel but tickets seem to be expensive on 22nd may morning.

Thanks for all ur guidance and having this wonderful website which gives us tons of information.

Rgds

Sanjay

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 3:22:03 #880043

Hi Chantal,

One more question. I see that tickets are slightly cheaper at http://www.trainline.eu as compared to http://www.raileurope.co.in which is your Indian partner even after i consider the exchange rate etc. Is this correct observation?

For 2 adults and 2 kids, the difference is almost 30 CHF.

Thanks once again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 5:59:00 #880044

Hi SanjayA

Yes, you would arrive and depart from Zurich main train station (the other train stations here are small and meant mostly for local commuter trains) We’re not like Paris with 3-4 big train stations (Zurich is quite small).

A 30 minute connection should be just fine for you and your family.

However, why not buy a ticket from Lucerne to Paris? There is a 06:54 departure with 1 change in Basel (40 minutes to connect) and arrive at Paris-Gare de Lyon at 11:37? Is that an option for you?

Some ticket websites prices can fluctuate for international tickets – buy from the one with the best rate for you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 March 2018 at 6:05:13 #880045

Yes, do go via Basel, that’s the shorter and standard route if coming from Lucerne, and saves you time in any case. No need to go through Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 7:57:11 #880046

Thanks Lucas & Arno. The ticket through Basel, though short journey, is more expensive and hence plan to go thru zurich… more site seeing and lesser expense!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 8:23:58 #880047

I have booked Zurich to Paris tickets by the high speed train as cost difference was big. Do u advise i book Lucerne to Zurich also or its better to buy those tickets at the Lucerne railway station counter?

Thnx

Sanjay

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 11:34:38 #880048

Yes, you can easily buy the Lucerne to Zurich ticket at Lucerne station (either at SBB office or ticket machine). Tickets don’t sell out. 🙂

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Paris by train, 2 adults & 2 kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.