Lucerne to Pontresia via Andermatt route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 10:16:46 #822608

Hi All

I will be doing the above route in late August this year.

I have the option to go via the glacier express for part of it or entirely normal regional trains, here are my 2 options:

1. Luzern > Erstfeld > Göschenen > Andermatt > Disentis/Mustér > Reichenau-Tamins >Samedan > Pontresina (6hr 18mins)

2. With a glacier express train on part of the leg:

Luzern > Erstfeld > Göschenen > Andermatt > Chur >Samedan>Pontresina (7hr 18 mins)

Will the views be roughly the same? I am likely to go option one as it is cheaper and a bit quicker. Does it go over the famous Landwasser viaduct?

If I purchase tickets online now for it, do I get a ticket for each train (6 or 5 in total)?

Will it be a hassle carting our luggage from each train and is there plenty of storage for our luggage (will the luggage be with us or is there a separate compartment?)

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 July 2019 at 11:07:06 #916733

Will the views be roughly the same?

Exactly the same, not just roughly.

I am likely to go option one as it is cheaper and a bit quicker. Does it go over the famous Landwasser viaduct?

Yes.

If I purchase tickets online now for it, do I get a ticket for each train (6 or 5 in total)?

You just need 1 ticket for the route.

Will it be a hassle carting our luggage from each train . . .

Yes

. . . and is there plenty of storage for our luggage (will the luggage be with us or is there a separate compartment?)

You need to find somewhere to stow luggage in compartment with you. It’s easier than it sounds.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 11:14:58 #916734

Thank you
    Will we have the option to stop on towns to break the trip up and if we miss a train can we just grab the next one using those same tickets?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 July 2019 at 11:19:31 #916735

Yes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 11:31:48 #916736

Thanks for all your help.
    Can I buy the tickets at the Lucerne station and state we want to go via Andermatt or should we just buy online ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 12:51:28 #916737

Hello Jimmyd,

Both is possible, see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 0:18:12 #916738

1. Luzern > Erstfeld > Göschenen > Andermatt > Disentis/Mustér > Reichenau-Tamins >Samedan > Pontresina (6hr 18mins)

I strongly suggest you go for option 1, which means:

• you avoid the overhyped Glacier Express and its supplementary charges
    • takes less time
    • is a more genuine ‘local’ experience
    • you can actually use the normal Albula line train which has some opening windows for the benefit of tourists (The GEX is sealed)
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 0:20:01 #916739

I will be.
    Thanks for your input 1960 man

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 0:27:11 #916740

“Will the views be roughly the same? Does it go over the famous Landwasser viaduct?”

Yes and yes because it is one in the same railway – In practice the Glacier Express is just an ‘exclusive’ train on a normal railway route with plenty of other normal – non supplement , reservation-free trains on it.

“Will it be a hassle carting our luggage from each train “

Not really in my view.

At Erstfeld the connection is across the same island platform (a 3 metre walk)

At Göschenen just follow everyone else making the same connection. The Andermatt train leaves from the station road behind the station building

At Andermatt (a fairly small station) it will be clear which train you need to connect to

At Disentis Muster you usually have to walk along the same platform, but again it is quite small station and you should find it easy enough

At Reichenau Tamins the trains serve the same island platform (this is how you better the timing of the Glacier Express because the GEX goes into Chur only to come all the way back out again to Reichenau

At Samedan you will probably need to take the subway to the next island platform, but don’t worry there are plenty of Samedan – Pontresina trains

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Pontresia via Andermatt route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.