Lucerne to Varenna with Swiss Travel Pass

• cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    8 July 2022 at 1:53:59 #827711

Hello all!

Loving this forum while planning our trip for the end of September. I have 2 questions for now:

1) My family of 3, including a 14 year old will have the STP which will cover the day that we travel from Lucerne to Varenna in Italy. I’m looking at taking normal trains on the Gotthard line all the way to Chiasso using the pass and buying point-to-point tickets for the rest of the way to maximize the pass value. Will we have to get off the train at Chiasso to do this or can we continue to the next change point at Monza while holding both the pass and bought tickets?

2) How do I make only seat reservations online or via the SBB app for certain section of train travel while using the STP? I tried doing this for dates next week between Interlaken and Lucerne but cannot see the “seat reservation”. Will the option be visible only after I had the STPs to my account?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2022 at 7:22:34 #944058

It is not usually necessary to reserve seats on Swiss trains. For Interlaken – Luzern , the trains are long and have plenty of capacity for a group of three people. Just turn up at the platform as early as possible for the train you want to catch and you will be the first to board.

For Chiasso, you would need to have a valid ticket bought in advance to travel through the station without changing trains.

cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    8 July 2022 at 11:14:34 #944059

Thank you!

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 July 2022 at 8:36:44 #944060

Hi cloud9,

As 1960man mentioned you usually don’t need reservations for Swiss trains: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations. You can find tips and information about tickets to Italy here: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

Note that you don’t have to add your Swiss Travel Pass to your account. You may be referring to a “SwissPass” account, but that’s something different. It can be pretty confusing, because the names look alike ;-). You can read about this at https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/details.

cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    9 July 2022 at 16:09:11 #944061

Aha, so that’s why it was confusing. Thanks Arno!

I have another question about the Swiss Travel Pass. If we visit a museum that’s included in it, can our 14 year old who will have the Swiss Family Card also enter for free? I know that she can travel with us for free on all modes of transport even if we have to pay a reduced fare for certain journeys but it’s not very clear if museum entries are also free with the family card.

Anna
    6376 posts
    9 July 2022 at 18:31:01 #944062

Hi cloud9,

Yes, free admission to museums also apply to children travelling along with the Swiss Family Card.

Regards,

Anna

cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    10 July 2022 at 3:37:45 #944063

Thank you, Anna!

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Varenna with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.