Cost of Lucerne to Wengen to Montreux by train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 14:59:59 #815085

These are the trips I hope to do during an 8 day trip in Switzerland.

(1) Zurich airport to Lucerne by rail on day 1.

(2) Boat trips and cover surrounding areas of Lucerne on days 2, 3 and 4.

(3) Lucerne to Wengen by rail and stay 2 nights which brings me to day 6.

(4) Wengen to Montreux by rail and spend two nights there which brings me to day 7 and 8. Would like to visit the Charlie Chaplin museum.

(5) Montreux to Geneva airport on day 8.

The Golden Scenic Route seems to be the most scenic route to take for the trip from Lucerne to Montreux. What is the best way to go about organising these trips and how much do they cost?

Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 15:28:44 #880625

Hi Easter and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can find the train schedules for those trips using the Swiss Railways timetable here.

Prices are noted there as well – but the first price you see is the Swiss Half Fare Card price (double it to get regular fares).

For 8 days you may be best off getting the Swiss Travel Pass which will cover most of your travel during your trip – see coverage here and see pricing online here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 17:16:46 #880626

Thanks a million Lucas. I got the info I needed using those links. Much appreciated. In your opinion, is it worth paying for first class tickets?

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 April 2018 at 17:27:20 #880627

Hi Easter,

First class is substantially more expensive, but can be worth it if you prefer more space and a quieter trip. You’ll find some additional information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 17:42:47 #880628

Thanks again, I can upgrade for individual trips if I wish so I will go with second class and upgrade for particular trips if it seems worth it to me at the time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 2:39:06 #880629

>> Wengen to Montreux by rail and spend two nights there … Would like to visit the Charlie Chaplin museum.

Make sure to put via Zweisimmen into your timetable search, in order to get the Golden Pass route rather than the faster, less scenic route.

Directions for getting to Chaplin’s World are on their website:

http://www.chaplinsworld.com/ en/visit-chaplin-museum/access

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 11:07:41 #880630

Thanks, that is really helpful. Can,t wait to see your beautiful country.

• The thread ‘Cost of Lucerne to Wengen to Montreux by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.