Glacier Express to Zermatt via Lucerne Jan 2020?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2019 at 15:08:42 #824352

Hi, we will be travelling to Switzerland in end January 2020 landing in Zurich. My family and I plan to make a trip from Lucerne to Zermatt. on 27 January 2020. Can you help to suggest what is the best way? We definitely want to try the Glacier Express. But I can only see Glacier Express from Andermatt to Zermatt. Are the train facilities friendly as we will be carrying 2 medium size luggages and 1 cabin bag. Will there by many stopover for changing of trains?

Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 November 2019 at 15:52:26 #924504

Hi Susan siek,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, it is possible to do the Glacier Express from Lucerne to Zermatt. You can either take the regular train or the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne to Göschenen, change to the cogwheel train in Andermatt and from there get on the Glacier Express to Zermatt. Another option is to take the regular train from Lucerne to Chur and board the Glacier Express from there.

Please refer to the SBB timetable for train departures and arrivals. The Glacier Express route is explained in detail below. Link to information about travelling with luggages on the train is also included below.

Be sure to check the various rail passes available as you plan your itinerary.

Best regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 November 2019 at 22:25:37 #924505

Hello Susan,

By far the best way to check timetables, find fares* and buy tickets on-line if required is using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi). In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app also show a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make conections.

Based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

See attached screen shot from SBB app for your proposed trip.

You can also follow the route on regular trains if the timing of the GEX doesn’t suit. The Gotthard Panorama Express does not run at that time of year.

An alternative is to go Luzern to Zermatt via Interlaken and Kandersteg but without knowing more about your overall itinerary it is difficult to offer more targeted advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 4:37:45 #924506

Thanks Anna. We may travel around within towns and city. Also plan to include Mont Blonc to take the cable cars. Will the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Travel Pass Flex? Sametime we wish to try the Glacier first class. Not sure how this two can compliment each other…

Between, We have a 10 years old child traveling with us..

Many thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 4:42:05 #924507

Thanks Rockoyster. I found the app you share very useful. We only plan to that particular ride only but will look at the option routes you mentioned,.. we re not too adventurous travelers…

Many thsnks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 November 2019 at 4:43:34 #924508

Hi Susan,

For a 10-year old you would want to get a (free) Swiss Family Card in conjunction with the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex). Your child can then travel free but would need a seat reservation along with the adults on the Glacier Express.

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.

If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website of SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 4:47:54 #924509

Thank you so much for your advise, Rockoyster. Really appreciate it. I ll explore it further.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 8:12:30 #924510

I had gone through the Swiss Tavel Pass Flex. Stated good for Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Gotthard Panorama Express.

Does it mean I cannot use this Swiss Travel Pass Flex for the regular train, or the Cogwheel Train ?

Rockoyster, I don’t seems to be able to derive the breakdown stop/route that you have attached( pls see attached). I am trying to work out option Lucern to Chur to Zermatt, to see if I can get less change over train.

Thank you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 November 2019 at 8:37:19 #924511

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex cover most of the country. You need to look at the map you can download at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/vali dity.

To go via Chur you need to look for Luzern to Zermatt via Chur and Andermatt.l

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 13:15:20 #924512

Hello Susan siek,

Thank you for your questions!

You may use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex on the regular trains and with the cogwheel trains it is discounted at 50% off. I will attach the links to help you with the details of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

Swiss Travel Pass Flex:

When you are at the train timetable connection, it asks you to enter “Via” you enter Chur, and there you will have the listed train connections.

There is also the Glacier Express train that has the least amount of train transfers. Just a side note: currently the Glacier Express isn’t running due to its low season break. The trains are not running between 14.10. to 14.12.2019

So if you are checking the options with today’s date in the timetable, you won’t see the direct Glacier Express connection between Chur and Zermatt. You will have to enter your travel date in late January to see the Glacier Express train timetable.

There is also another option with the regular trains, and it also has less train transfers. You don’t need to stop in Chur. You would take the train from Lucerne -> Bern -> Visp -> Zermatt

This is the quickest journey and it’s approximately 3 hours and 14 minutes.

I hope this clears things up!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 14:12:31 #924513

Thank you Rockoyster.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 14:13:03 #924514

Thanks Suzanne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2019 at 9:08:58 #924515

Hi, sorry for the many questions. I tried to book the Swiss Travel Pass 4 days for 2 adults. Even I had reached the payment section, there was no selection for the Swiss Family Card for me to add on. Can you help on this? I m buying direct from SBB website.

Thank you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 6:40:04 #924517

Hello Susan,

Has your issue been solved in the meantime?! Did you manage to purchase your Swiss Travel Pass plus Swiss Family Card?!

The SBB page is geared more for Swiss residents and can thus sometimes not work quite adequately from abroad, make sure you check out the retailers listed below:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfamilycard/price

Best and happy journey.
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 6:57:27 #924518

Hello Rockoyster, thanks for the guide line. I managed to get it now.

Hello Steph, I manage to get it now. Thanks.

Does the STP usable for Golden Pass Line. I am getting more confuse the more I read the option available..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 7:06:18 #924519

Hello Susan,

To see the exact validity of the Swiss Travel Pass see below link and also make sure you check the pdf map provided:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

The answer btw is YES, it covers the Golden Pass train ride.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Glacier Express to Zermatt via Lucerne Jan 2020?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.