Lucerne to Zermatt by train

Lucerne to Zermatt by train

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
lbridges521
lbridges521
3 posts
Mar 20, 2018 - 1:02 AM

I will be traveling from Lucerne to Zermatt May of this year. I have never been to Switzerland before so would lover to stop in Interlaken on the way.

1) Is this possible?

2) Is it easy too take the train from Zermatt to Matterhorn?

3) I would love to do the Glacier Express but I will not be traveling in those areas so will I still be able to see a lot of Switzerland by Eurorail?

4) Lastly, Do I need a swiss pass if I will be there for 4-5 days?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3712 posts
expert
Mar 20, 2018 - 3:46 AM in reply to lbridges521

Hello lbridges and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. Yes. With a ticket Lucerne to Zermatt you can hop off at Interlaken and have a look around. Use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

2. I guess you mean the train to Gornergrat (www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat) which is as close as you will get to the Matterhorn. Yes. But not covered by Eurail.

3. You will do a small part of the Glacier Express route on your way up to Zermatt.

4. The main routes will be covered by the Eurail Pass (www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y) but coverage is not so good when you want to go into the mountains or on boats or city transport. Whether you need a Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity) in addition depends on your itinerary. Compare where the two passes are valid using those links. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Arno
Arno
10757 posts
expert &
Mar 20, 2018 - 2:02 PM

Hi lbridges,

For your stop in Interlaken I'd recommend a trip with the funicular up to Harder Kulm. That gets you a good view of the lakes and the Jungfrau region. There is not much to see in the town itself. You can walk to the funicular from the Interlaken Ost station.

Last modified on Mar 20, 2018 - 2:02 PM by Arno
lbridges521
lbridges521
3 posts
Mar 20, 2018 - 6:37 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank You! Will research more!

lbridges521
lbridges521
3 posts
Mar 20, 2018 - 6:38 PM in reply to Arno

Ok, I will definitely look this up. Thanks!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3712 posts
expert
Mar 20, 2018 - 8:10 PM in reply to lbridges521

Forgot to mention that between Interlaken and Zermatt go via Kandersteg. It takes a little longer than the faster route offered by the timetable but is much more scenic. You will travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Last modified on Mar 20, 2018 - 8:12 PM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018