Lucerne to Zermatt on Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 7:08:19 #815356

Hi, My husband daughter (14yrs) & myself will be travelling from Lucerne to Zermatt on the 21st July.Please guide me as how to do the journey on the glacier express.We will be buying the swiss travel pass. for 8 days. Is the swiss travel pass a good decision? My itenary is 19th & 20th in Lucerne./ 21st :Lucerne to Zermatt to see Matterhorn/ 22nd travel to Interlaken (to see Jungfrau ,suggestions appreciated, 23 rd overnight at Interlaken(no plans yet) 24 th Interlaken to Zurich ( tour Zurich & day trip to the Rhine falls) 25th leave from Zurich to London.Thanks in advance for all sugesstions. Rgds, Zee

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 9:48:20 #882412

Hi Zenia, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you are traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass you only need to book seats for the Glacier Express which you can do here.

There is only one way to know if the Swiss Travel Pass is your best option: plan your itinerary in detail, including all trips by train, bus, boat and cable car. Then look up the full-fare cost of all these planned trips and compare the total cost of separate tickets with the cost of doing the same trips with the Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card etc. You can find fares in the Swiss Timetable.

It is important to be aware that the fare shown for any trip in the Swiss Timetable defaults to half fare, as most Swiss residents will have a Half-Fare travelcard which entitles them to this discount. Your calculations need to be based on full fares, which are double the default fare that comes up.
    There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you: 'How to choose a Swiss rail pass.'

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 10:55:21 #882413

Thank you for your reply. I am about to reserve seats on the Glacier express with the Swiss travel pass.If I want to travel from Lucerne to Zermatt , can you advice me what seats to reserve (left or right ) to get good views & what station ( route) should I take with regard to change of trains so as to get on to the glacier express.

Kind regards,

Zenia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 11:55:02 #882414

Hi Zenia,

My understanding is that you will be in Zermatt already. So from there you can take the Glacier Express. The information on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere will tell you where to best sit on the train.

You can reserve seats here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/packages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 12:20:58 #882415

Hi Chantal,

We will be un Lucerne travelling to Zermatt. Part of this journey we would like to do on the Glacier Express. Hence which station should I reserve seats on to the Glacier Express so as to get the scenic view to Zermatt. Eg: Lucerne to Andermatt on regular train & Andermatt to Zermatt on glacier express – Or do you suggest otherwise.

rgds, Zenia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 12:38:53 #882416

What I mean to understand is which is the station to get onto the Glacier Express if I am traveling From Lucerne to Zermatt.

Rgds

Zenia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 14:05:19 #882417

Hi Zenia,

I would catch the Glacier Express in Andermatt. And from Lucerne to Andermatt you should travel via Göschenen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 0:44:00 #882418

Hi Zenia,

>> Lucerne to Zermatt on the 21st July … Lucerne to Andermatt on regular train & Andermatt to Zermatt on glacier express

The first Glacier Express from Andermatt to Zermatt leaves at 14:08 and arrives in Zermatt at 17:10. All the window seats have already been booked, and there are no more than two seats together anywhere. Possibly when that carriage is full, another carriage will be opened for booking – I’m not sure about that.

The next Glacier Express leaves Andermatt at 15:08 and arrives in Zermatt at 18:10. There are still window seats available, and you can get three seats together.

The earliest you can get up to the Gornergrat (if you catch the 14:08 Glacier Express from Andermatt) is 17:57.

Are you staying in Zermatt that night, or do you need to return to Luzern?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 7:40:50 #882419

Thankyou so much for ypur advice. We will be staying at Zermatt for the night.Will it still be bright at 18:10 when we reach Zermatt given that its summer?I am presuming that Andermatt toZermatt is scenic most of the journey. I will go ahead & reserve seats for the 15:08 train .Thankyou again Chantal & Apenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 11:08:13 #882420

I am trying to do the reservation but dont see any Swiss travel pass to choose in the reduction section. Please advice. Rgds.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 11:25:17 #882421

Are you using this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/packages?

And then you use the first option: “Glacier Express seat reservations”

• The thread ‘Lucerne to Zermatt on Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.