Lugano or Locarno for 2 nights between train trips

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 May 2018 at 4:55:20 #815695

We intend to take the Gothard Panorama Express from Lucerne on September 21 and then the Centovalli line to Thun or Brig.

I’m not sure whether to spend our two nights in Lugano or Locarno. I generally prefer towns to cities so Locarno appeals more because of that. It also would be easier to stay there for when we take the Centovalli train.

On the other hand, I keep reading that many people think Lugano is more attractive, although a city. We‘ll likely spend our one day between train trips on low-key activities like boat rides and wandering about. We don’t like shopping.

I know it’s a subjective question, but for people who know both places, which do you think would be best for our situation?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 7:20:39 #884034

Hi Judy,

I’ve been a few times to Lugano (stayed in the neighbor village Melide) and I liked it very much. Lugano might be a city, however, it’s small.

This month I’m going to Locarno so unfortunately I can’t tell you yet which place I prefer. A friend of mine said that if I like Lugano, I will love Locarno.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 May 2018 at 12:10:12 #884035

Thanks Chantal.

Is there anyone who’s been to both and can offer an opinion?

Annika
    7124 posts
    3 May 2018 at 17:30:13 #884036

Hi Judy52! I’m currently staying in Locarno for a spring break, and I’ve just returned from a day trip to Lugano. So although I haven’t been able to thoroughly explore Lugano, I can offer some comparisons. In terms of nature and scenery, I’d say Lugano is more attractive. It’s surrounded by steep foresty hills rising up from the lake, with a couple of viewing points nearby. Lugano’s old town center is definitely pretty and offers lots of options for (luxury) shopping. And it indeed has much more of a city feeling than Locarno I’d say; it’s rather large with quite some multi-storey buildings.

Locarno is smaller and due to its size it may appeal to you more. Scenery in Locarno is beautiful too, and the town has a lovely promenade along the Lago Maggiore as well as an attractive old town centre with the remains of the old Visconteo castle and the famous church of Madonna del' Sasso. You can make boat trips and enjoy the view from Cardada/Cimetta, to be reached by funicular, cable car and chair lift. The Centovalli trains arrive right next to the main station (whereas you’ll have to add an extra hour if you want to travel onwards to Lugano). So for your specific requirements, Locarno may be the better choice. It’s hard to advise though, as it all depends on your personal preferences. You really can’t go wrong with either town.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    4 May 2018 at 0:26:24 #884037

Thanks Annika. It sounds as if we should choose Locarno then, both for the smaller size and the ease of getting the Centovalli train the next day. I know the boats aren’t covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, but I assume the funicular, cable car and chair lift would be?

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 May 2018 at 7:13:37 #884038

Hi Judy,

The cable car and chair lift are 50% discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass. The funicular is privately owned with its own set of rules and offers a 20% discount from the top of my mind.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 2:21:58 #884039

Hi Arno,

When I went up to Madonna del Sasso on the funicular in Sep 2016, the fare with the Swiss Travel Pass was CHF 5.40 return, which was a 25% discount on the full fare of CHF 7.20.

However, I notice they now have a big green tick next to Swiss Travel Pass, with no further information about a discount, so I am wondering if it is now free.

funicolarelocarno.ch/o rari-e-tariffe/

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 May 2018 at 14:47:17 #884040

Hi Alpenrose,

I am quite sure that we paid the amount you mentioned, with a Swiss Travel Pass. So 25% off. Their website is indeed a bit vague.

• The thread ‘Lugano or Locarno for 2 nights between train trips’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.