Lugano to Lucerne the long, scenic way around

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2020 at 20:07:33 #824987

My group of six seniors is planning a trip in May, 2020. We wish to start in Lugano, take the bus to Torino, then the Bernina Express to St Moritz where we will stay overnight. The next day we want to take the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Andermatt without having to go to Chur. Is that possible? From Andermatt we want to connect to Gosechen(?) and get on the Gotthard Panoramic Express, taking the long way to Fuelen where we will catch the boat as far as Vitznau where we are staying for a week. Unfortunately, I missed the fact that the Gotthard doesn’t operate on Mondays. Are the regional lines still available on Mondays? We don’t have to be on the Gotthard as long as we can go first class to Fluelen.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6378 posts
    24 January 2020 at 20:28:28 #928649

Hi Wantted,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

You certainly have put in a lot of effort planning your scenic trip. That’s great! And I think overall it’s do-able including taking the Glacier Express to Andermatt and changing to the Gotthard Panorama Express in Göschenen. If the Gotthard Panorama Express doesn’t run on the day of your trip, it is certainly possible to take the regional trains, which of course operate regularly.

The route description for each of the panoramic trains are explained in detail in the links below, including alternative routes in case you change your itinerary.

Regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2020 at 22:14:05 #928650

You’ll want to take the Bernina Express bus (reservations required) to Tirano. Torino is the other direction. 😉

You can get the 14:07 BEX to St Moritz or a regular train – same scenery and reservations not required.

The Glacier Express runs through Chur but regular trains St Moritz to Andermatt offer a change to avoid Chur.

For checking timetables see here. Look for St Moritz to Flüelen via Andermatt.

ps It’s Göschenen after Andermatt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2020 at 22:56:22 #928651

Thanks Rockoyster. Sorry about the town misspellings. I got into the middle of the post and couldn’t leave to check the correct names. Thank you for the information and especially the attachments. I’ve looked at a few of them, and they appear to be quite helpful. Is there a place that explains all the abbreviations and symbols in the timetables? (We’re about to sit down to 40 pounds of oysters in Charleston, SC)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2020 at 2:08:54 #928652

40 pounds of oysters? Is that between the 6 of you? 😎

If you survive that feast have a look at http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/en/explanations.html for abbreviations etc.

I forgot to mention you can also get a 14:25 BEX which runs through to Chur. You can get seat reservations to Pontresina and change to a local train (or bus) from there to St Moritz. Just in case you are committed to wanting travel on the BEX.

• The thread ‘Lugano to Lucerne the long, scenic way around’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.