Lugano – Milan, is this too tight to change trains

• Jansergeant
    Participant
    12 posts
    4 July 2017 at 6:05:16 #812499

We are arriving at Lugano at 16.38 on the Gothard Panorama train & want to get the 16.42 train to Milan, I am thinking that this could be almost impossible to do. I think the only way it would work is if they depart on adjoining platforms. Has anyone tried to do this,or is this just too stupid to try! The train to Milan says it leaves from platform 2, what platform does the Gotthard arrive on?

We are planning pre- purchase our ongoing tickets.

Thanks for any help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 July 2017 at 18:56:01 #866195

Hi Jansergeant,

The Gotthard Panorama Express normally arrives on platform 4. You’ll have to go down the stairs, walk 20 m, and up the stairs. It’s a tight but normal change in Switzerland. If you miss it you won’t need to wait that long as the next train departs 17:18. That one does require seat reservations, so you would need to go to the ticket office to arrange for that.

The Gotthard Panorama Express also stops in Bellinzona, and I am quite sure the train to Milan does too. You can ask the staff on board the train if that change would be easier.

Jansergeant
    Participant
    12 posts
    4 July 2017 at 22:26:23 #866196

Thank you Arno,

I have just one more question

if we change trains in Bellinzona , how scenic is it between there & Lugano? Are we going to miss much scenery being in a regular train or have we seen the best of it.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2017 at 22:59:30 #866197

Hi Jan,

I haven’t been on the GPEX from Bellinzona to Lugano but I have been on the regular train. The only thing you would miss out on I think would be any commentary. The view would be the same. I don’t recall there being any major scenic attractions on that leg.

Having said that it looks like the connection time in Bellinzona is pretty much the same as in Lugano. Makes sense as both the GPEX and the Milan trains take the same route.

If you wait for the 17:18 connection from Lugano – Milan you will have time to take a wander outside the station. There are nice views over the city and the lake from up there.

Jansergeant
    Participant
    12 posts
    5 July 2017 at 7:37:44 #866198

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks for your reply. I think the connection time in bellinzone was 15mins but in Lugano it was only 3 mins & it allows us to connect up with the an earlier train into Florence. We are going through to Florence &prefer to get the earliest train possible , if we wait for the later trains we don’t get into Florence until 8.40 pm & then still have to walk to our accommodation & have someone waiting on us with keys.

Looking at all combinations to save a bit of time.

I have been reading your trip reports it all sounds amazing, we are getting to excited & counting down our days until we go.

Jan

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2017 at 7:43:51 #866199

Fair enough Jan. I didn’t realise you were going beyond Milan. 15 minutes at Bellinzona should be fine.

Enjoy your trip – it WILL be amazing! 😇

Jansergeant
    Participant
    12 posts
    5 July 2017 at 8:19:40 #866200

Any tips on the Gotthard Panorama train, which is the best side to sit etc. We will be staying in Lucerne the night before so we can get on the 11.12 boat, we don’t want to miss any connections.We are going to try to book it this weekend. For some reason this train/boat trip is doing our head in, we are probably overthinking it.

Jan

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2017 at 8:40:02 #866201

Hi Jan,

The collected wisdom is that the right side of the train is better heading south – but I suspect it’s marginal.

Don’t stress – it’s pretty straight forward. I find it easy to say that now!

• The thread ‘Lugano – Milan, is this too tight to change trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.