Mont Bre and Bellinzona in one day from Lugano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2019 at 11:49:59 #823821

Hi, we have a full day in Lugano in November. Planning to visit Mont Bre followed by Bellinzona. Appreciate any helps to enlighten on the following :

(a) Lugano is between Mont Bre and Bellinzona. As such, we will be travelling to Mont Bre and back to Lugano again then onward to Belllinzona. Is there any alternative that we can make a round trip so that we can reach Bellinzona without passing Lugano? Thought if there is an alternative then it’s also a chance to see more beautiful places. Our preference is Lugano – Mt Bre – Belllinzona – Lugano.

(b) We are heading to Locarno to Zermatt the next day. That means we will pass by Bellinzona. Is it advisable to visit Belllinzona on this day instead of the previous day (where we are visiting Mt Bre)? My concern of visiting Bellinzona today is worry that we might spend too much time in Bellinzona and thus delayed the journey to Zermatt. As it is a long journey to Zermatt of 4 hours. Do not wish to reach Zermatt after dark. Is 1-1.5 hours sufficient to visit all castles in Bellinzona?

Thank you for any advices!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 September 2019 at 21:18:24 #922066

You can get a series of buses from Mont Bré to Bellinzona but not sure if it makes sense as it takes almost 2.5 hours. Doing Bré and Bellinzona in a day should be no problem and better than breaking your journey to Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 2:36:05 #922067

Thanks Rockoyster! You advises help again in my planning!

There will be 2 train changes from Locarno Fart to Zermatt, at Domodossola and Brig. Just wonder is it worth stopping in either of these 2 places? Or should we just head direct to Zermatt earlier to enjoy the beauty of the Matterhorn.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 September 2019 at 3:52:48 #922068

You’re welcome Serentee,

I wouldn’t bother with Domodossola.

Brig is quite a pleasant town but I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle of storing luggage while you wander around. Up to you I guess.

I wrote a little bit about Brig at the end of this trip report.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 4:03:50 #922069

Will read about your trip report about Brig. But as you highlighted, the storing of the luggage at the station may be a hassle.

While replying to you, I’m iin the midst of planning the trip up to Monte Bre and pondering whether a hike from Monte Bre summit to gandria via Bre village is feasible to do in winter ? To be exact, on the 23 Nov. Is there any steep slopes?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 September 2019 at 5:31:28 #922070

I’ve never done that walk so I can’t say what it would be like late Autumn.

You descend about 600 meter in 3km. I expect it would be a well made and maintained track. See http://www.ticino.ch/en/itine raries/details/Monte-Brè-Gandria-Castagnola/138323.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 5:53:28 #922071

Thanks Rockoyster!

May be we will just leave the hike out since we are heading to Bellinzona after Monte Bre!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 16:59:58 #922072

Hi Serenetee,

if you are looking for an easy walk in the area, I can suggest this one: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lugano-gandria. It takes you from Lugano to Gandria. You will have the option to go up on Mont Bré (and down), as the route takes you next to the funicular station.

See also:

• The thread ‘Mont Bre and Bellinzona in one day from Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.