Lugano to Wengen via Lucerne and Interlaken

• Jayleecab
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 July 2022 at 22:30:22 #827738

Hello!!

We are trying to decide on how to make the most of our train journey to Wengen. Please let me know if we might be doing too much or if it’s doable? We will have the Swiss Flex Pass. Here is what I had in mind…times are not exact but just an idea. I’m trying to figure out time tables. We will be coming back to Luzern.

Lugano > Flüelen: Gotthard Panoramic Express (9am) 11:35 arrival

Flüelen > Luzern: Regular Train (I don’t know the time tables for these trains) It looks like it takes 1.15 hour instead of 2.5 on the boat. I guess we can be in Luzern by 1:30pm 13:30 if we take the train instead of the boat?

Luzern > Interlacken: Golden Pass Panoramic Train at 14:00. Estimate arrival 16:30? Does the regular train take the same amount of time?

Interlaken > Laurernbrunnen > Wengen: Train 45 minutes?

Thank you! Grazie! Danke!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2022 at 23:44:46 #944169

In my opinion the Gotthard Panorama Express (GPE) is not worth it. You see all the same scenery on the regular and much more up to date ‘Treno Gottardo’ regional service (with no extra fare or first class only supplement needed) over the historic legendary Gotthard mountain route. The GPE was created as a fill-in when Swiss Federal Railways refused to offer a decent express service over the old line after the new base tunnel opened. The Swiss Sudostbahn company later filled the gap and the Treno Gottardo now runs regularly Locarno – Gotthard mountain route – Fluelen – Luzern or Zurich.

The Treno Gottardo runs every hour over the mountain route, dividing to serve Zurich and Luzern/Basel – so there is a train every 2 hours from Locarno to Luzern (Route IR26). To connect with this take any train from Lugano to Bellinzona in time for the departures every two hours at xx.59, for example Lugano 09.25 Bellinzona 09.43

Bellinzona 09.59 – Luzern 12.41

Luzern – Interlaken is not the true Golden Pass (that is just the Zweisimmen – Montreux section). Luzern – Interlaken is a the Brunig Pass railway, with red and white trains trains every hour (at xx.06 from Luzern) dubbed ‘Luzern – Interlaken Express‘. All the trains are the same and take the same amount of time to complete the journey

If you arrived at Luzern at 12.41 as above, you would get the 13.06 Luzern – Interlaken, arriving Interlaken 14.55

If you arrived at Interlaken Ost as above, you would connect into:

BOB train (blue/yellow)

Interlaken Ost dep 15.05

Lauterbrunnen arr 15.25

change to WAB (green yellow narrow train) dep 15.30

Wengen arr 15.41

Anna
    6382 posts
    11 July 2022 at 13:58:07 #944170

Hi Jayleecab,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I think you’re timings are somewhat accurate. Be sure to use the timetable to double check your connections.

So yes, if you take the 9.18am Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano, you will reach Flüelen at 11.35 am direct without having to switch trains. From Flüelen, you can take the 11.44 direct service to Lucerne (57 minutes journey, arrival). You can have lunch in Lucerne or spend a bit of time exploring the city before taking the train to Interlaken Ost via the Golden Pass route. The trains on these route travel hourly. As mentioned by 1960man,the original Golden Pass used to be a short track but it has been extended and now comprises three sections. You can read about it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere

The journey from Lucerne to Interlaken Ost takes about 1 hr 50 mins. As suggested by 1960man, in Interlaken Ost you can easily get a connecting train to Wengen ( about 30 mins with one change in Lauterbrunnen).

Hope this somewhat helps you to plan your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Jayleecab
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 July 2022 at 21:24:53 #944171

Thank you sooo very much for your reply. This saved me money and time!

Jayleecab
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 July 2022 at 21:26:18 #944172

Thank you so much for your reply!! I appreciate this, this feedback has made a big difference on our plans. Thank you!

• The thread ‘Lugano to Wengen via Lucerne and Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.