Problem taking luggage on trains in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 11:38:11 #814000

We are planning a 12 day family trip in August to Switzerland and are planning to go from Zurich to Lucerne, Jungfrau region and then to Zermatt and finally to Geneva. As this will involve a lot of train travel with suitcases, I was wondering if anyone had any advice about traveling on the trains with multiple pieces of luggage through different train connections. Has anyone used the Express luggage service that sends the luggage same day to your final destination?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 12:07:55 #874021

Hi Keepfaith,

I haven’t used the express luggage service myself but it gets rave reviews from those who have used it. Read more about it here.

I’ve never had any issue taking my luggage on the trains here. How big and how many pieces do you have? I think it is more of a physical issue (do you want to/ can you haul it on the train) rather than a space issue on the train itself. Certainly some trains can get full of luggage in July/August but there is somewhere you can fit it (it just may not be within sight of you).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 12:35:40 #874022

Lucas,

Thank you again for your quick response. I’m not sure how many pieces of luggage that we will have yet but I’m figuring that an almost 2 week vacation and accumulating things along the way that we will have 2 suitcases and a few carry ons for our family.

I just wasn’t sure what the process was with luggage–if it is stored by your seat, in overhead compartments or in a separate part of the train. I’m anticipating the trains being crowded during the peak times of summer so I wasn’t sure if dragging around our luggage was going to become a major hassle.

I will have to check out the info on the express luggage service as it may make things easier with our travel between different regions.

Thank you again!!

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    11 January 2018 at 15:28:53 #874023

I’m also rather uneasy about our luggage for our upcoming travel in late February. We probably each will just have 1 luggage but it’s a large suitcase. Multiply by 6. Do all trains have luggage compartments? I don’t feel safe leaving them out of our sights either. Not sure how crowded trains are from late Feb to early March. We’ll have train journeys from Basel to Interlaken to Zermatt to Lucerne to Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 16:23:10 #874024

If I’m on a long trip I usually have one large suitcase and one backpack. The large suitcase goes in the luggage racks (most train carriages have one) or at either end of the train carriage (wherever there is free space around the doors). This happens in peak season at peak times when I get on a train 1/2 way through the journey. If you get on a train at the starting point you shouldn’t have much issue with luggage if you are among the first to board.

If you have more than 3 larger suitcases you might want to upgrade to 1st class where there are fewer people or use the luggage service as I noted above.

Airport carry-on size suitcases & backpacks will usually fit above you on a luggage rack (most trains have this).

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    11 January 2018 at 21:39:48 #874025

Four of us traveled from Paris to Zermatt in late November and then from Zermatt to Zurich. We each had a large suitcase. In addition 2 of us had large snowboard bags. All 4 of us had a carryon bags too. We had to have dress clothes, shoes, etc. for an event in Paris. We traveled in 1st class and had plenty of room.There weren’t a lot of people on the trains but it seemed as though everyone had at least 2 bags. If there had been a lot of people on the train, I don’t know how much room there would have been especially for the snowboard bags in 2nd class. Each of us quickly moved our own bags on and off the trains. However, we had a problem getting a taxi/van in Zurich for all of us and our bags. None could hold the snowboards. Two of us ended up walking the snowboard bags to the hotel. We had to have the hotel make special arrangements to get us a van to go to the airport the next day. It’s important to consider whether or not everyone can move their own bags, etc. Luggage racks are near the doors.

• The thread ‘Problem taking luggage on trains in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.