Lock luggage together on Swiss trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2019 at 20:18:22 #820075

Can you (is it allowed) to lock your luggage together in the luggage area so it can’t be taken off the train by anyone but you?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 9:15:38 #904848

Hi paddington,

I don’t think anyone would be upset if you locked your luggage together on a train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 11:47:17 #904849

That’s good. Thanks.

We’re a bit paranoid after a bad experience in Rome.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 15:10:19 #904850

They don’t like that there? I’d be much more concerned in Italy than Switzerland!

Are you talking about locking to the train or just to other luggage – funny they would care if you just locked on suitcase to another.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    24 February 2019 at 17:58:34 #904851

On my last trip, the first leg on a train, I used a thin metal loop through the luggage handles of several bags then using my airplane luggage lock to secure the two bags (this in the luggage area at one end of the train car). After that I never bothered locking bags. It was October, few people riding the trains then, my son and I could easily view the luggage from our seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 5:38:14 #904852

We almost lost our luggage on a train in Rome. Another couple in the train lost their’s instead only because i was a tiny bit more vigilant. That was when our luggage was next to us. I was a bit worried about leaving luggage in a luggage area on a train where I am not necessarily going to be watching it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 17:30:33 #904853

Hi Paddington

I’m curious, why did the other couple (and you almost) lose their luggage on the way to Rome?

Swiss trains have plenty of storage areas, if you have small to medium suitcases, you can store them in between seats, and also above on most trains. Mountain trains are a bit trickier but still have areas for luggage. So it might not be necessary to lock your luggage together…

I’ve lived in Switzerland for 9 years and travel on trains frequently and have never had an issue…

Maria.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    28 February 2019 at 18:51:32 #904854

Paddington said ” lost our luggage on a train in Rome”

I didn’t take that to mean a train TO Rome and assumed it was an Italian train, but I could be wrong.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2019 at 21:55:33 #904855

Sorry I typed out a much fuller explanation and the computer ate it.

We were on the train from FCO to Rome day one of our trip. 2 couples (one at one end and the other at the other end but facing us) and a single guy in the carriage.

The guy came towards us just as we were approaching a station. I reached over and pulled my bag towards me and put my leg over it. DH thought I was being paranoid. They guy sat down and didn’t get off. Next stop he got off at the other end of the carriage. As the train pulled out the other couple recognised the luggage that he was carrying was theirs. Too late. Their luggage had been on the seat behind them. The guy had just picked it up and walked off the train. All they had left was their itinerary and the woman’s handbag. We saw lots of people in Rome selling clothes on the street from cases…

DH was a bit shocked and we were careful for the rest of the trip.

They don’t have dedicated luggage storage but I wouldn’t use it on Italian Trains anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2019 at 14:25:09 #904856

Hi Paddington

That explains things a bit more, I’m sorry to hear of your experience in Rome!

Just to share my experience – I’ve not heard or seen of anyone getting their luggage stolen on Swiss trains! I also talked to a couple of my friends and they don’t know of anyone either.

I once fell asleep on a long-distance train, and woke up a little bit disorientated when the train had pulled into the station. I couldn’t find my luggage and thought someone had stolen it so I talked to the maintenance staff, who in fact directed me the other way! It turned out my luggage was behind me instead of in front of me but I had lost my bearings after my nap!

It is also not uncommon for things to find their way to lost and found in Switzerland to be retrieved by their owners…

That is not to say this never happens, but I just wanted to share that I have never seen or heard it happening so far in my 9 years of living here. I have seen and heard of lots of pick-pockets in Lausanne and Geneva so I would be vigilant walking around there but not sure you need to be too concerned on the trains as long as you have your luggage in view…

For extra safety, I always keep my valuables next to me anyway so if anything is stolen it is no biggie!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2019 at 19:53:21 #904857

Glad to hear that Switzerland is fairly safe. It can be tiring being constantly on the alert.

We both travel with pretty small bags so they are easy to handle which helps a lot in squeezing them into tight spaces and over head. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 9:26:29 #904858

Yes, with smaller luggage overheard, beneath your seat or squeezed behind your seat (when the seat behind you faces the other direction) is always best.

Definitely just keep clothes in luggage and nothing of value just in case. In Switzerland it is too expensive for thieves to risk getting caught without a ticket on the train (I doubt in Italy those thieves buy tickets for the train either). Just my thoughts – it happens but it is pretty rare here!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 10:40:23 #904859

We are from Asia and would be touring the country. Therefore, we would have two mid size (26″) luggage with us for most of the time. I am not sure if the luggage can fit in our seats behind or anywhere near our sights (depending on the seats). Can anyone share your wisdom allowing us to have a piece of mind regarding our luggage? Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 10:47:11 #904860

Hi Tictac and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I don’t think your luggage will fit near or above your seats. You’ll probably have to leave them at a luggage rack (at one or both ends of the train carriage you are in). This shouldn’t be an issue in Switzerland as far as safety is concerned. As always don’t leave valuables in your luggage to be safe.

To read more about traveling with luggage on Swiss trains look here on our website: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 18:29:22 #904861

Thanks Lucas for your comments. I have looked at the website as you suggested. I am very interested in the same day door to door luaggage delivery. I understand that it requires 2 days advance booking, is this offered by SBB? Thanks.

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 March 2019 at 18:36:46 #904862

Hi Tictac,

Yes it is, you’ll find the SBB link on the page Lucas referred to. Further details and booking options can be found there.

• The thread ‘Lock luggage together on Swiss trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.