Luggage forwarding Swiss rail - how long to plan?

Luggage forwarding Swiss rail - how long to plan?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Debra
Debra
114 posts
Mar 7, 2018 - 5:27 PM

On a possible itinerary coming from Chamonix passing through Martigny there is a 12 minute window between trains. I want to forward some luggage; is this enough time to get to the luggage office and catch the next rain or should I just plan on waiting an hour for the next? Another possibility is in Bulle where I have to go from train to bus, there is only 2 minutes so by experience sometimes the bus is not close, so should I just consider doing the transfer from there? That would also put me "behind" an hour.

Lucas
Lucas
5667 posts
expert &
Mar 7, 2018 - 5:45 PM in reply to Debra

Hi Debra,

My experience in Switzerland is that the buses are almost as punctual as the trains (though luggage forwarding isn't available in Bulle anyway). Your time limit for the train at Martigny would not be sufficient to get that setup so I would look at getting the next train an hour later.

You can check which train stations offer luggage services here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage/luggag e.html

Last modified on Mar 9, 2018 - 7:44 PM by Arno
Debra
Debra
114 posts
Mar 7, 2018 - 6:18 PM

I think I'm going to go to Gruyeres instead (I'm going to walk the Chemin Du Gruyeres in reverse, then) that gives me more than half hour between trains in Montreux. And, since I'll have more time in town I can take my time to visit the chocolate and cheese "factory", staying the night in town; what I don't get to visit when I arrive I'll check out on my way out of town before hitting the trail to Charmey. Plus, the hotel I booked has breakfast included so between that and the chocolate I should manage that 500 meter ascent in better fashion!

Lucas
Lucas
5667 posts
expert &
Mar 8, 2018 - 9:22 AM in reply to Debra

Sounds good!

Enjoy your trip. :)

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018