Luggage on funicular and bus to Beatenberg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 2:31:24 #825288

Hi,

I will be travelling from Lucerne to Beatenberg, Hubel (Dorint Bluemlisalp). I will be travelling with my partner and two kids. We will be carrying our luggage, i.e. 2 checked in size bags and 4 carry on luggage.

I found the shortest route in the timetable as per below.

Luzern to Bern by train. (journey time from 16:00 to 17:00)

Change at Bern station (from platform 8 to platform 6) to go to Thun (journey time from 17:06 to 17:24)

Change at Thun to get a Bus 21 (journey time from 17:32 to 18:01) beatenbucht

Change at Beatenbucht (beatenbergbahn) to get Funicular to Beatenberg (journey time from 18:04 to 18:14)

Finally arraive at Beatenberg, station at 18:14 and from there take a bus at 18:20 to Beatenberg, Hubel (it takes only two minutes to reach Beatenberg, Hubel) .

I have two questions.

(1) can I my carry luggage in Funicular and also on bus? I believe I should be ok to carry luggage in trains.

(2) I will only have 6 minutes two change platform at Bern station (from platform 3 to 6). Is 6 minutes really enough time to change platform with luggage and kids?

I also have to change at Thun train station to get to bus station and as per SBB, it is 4 minutes of walk and I will have 8 minutes to change. I guess it might be ok.

I also have to change at beatenbucht to take funicular in 3 minutes. As per the SBB it is only 1 minute walk so I guess it might be ok.

I have also checked back up journey times from Bern to Beatenberg, Thun to Beatenbucht and beatenbucht to beatenberg, in case I miss any of these connection. However, it will add about an hour in journey time and will go through interlaken west.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2020 at 2:57:27 #930486

Have you considered going through to Interlaken West (instead of Thun) and getting the B101 bus (< 30 mins) direct to the hotel? Shortest time is 3 h 2 mins with plenty of time for changes at Olten and Interlaken. About 40 minutes longer than your faster route but much less nail-biting. 😉

1. Yes you can take luggage on the funicular and the bus.

2. Should be if you work out where the platforms (see SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi)) are and get ready to embark the train as soon as it arrives. At Thun the departs about 50 meters from the station entrance. The Funicular is cutting it a bit fine but I’d imagine they work in well with the bus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 6:01:45 #930487

Thank you for your reply rockoyster. Your suggestion is a really good alternative and will make my journey considerably less hassle free. I will choose the option you suggested.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 6:23:48 #930488

Hi GpOz,

also have a look at the luggage service of SBB, it might be useful for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage.

Ildiko

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2020 at 6:27:33 #930489

It’s a pity the B101 only leaves Interlaken West 5 minutes past the hour. Otherwise coming from Luzern via Brienz on the Luzern-Interlaken Express would be a very nice scenic and fast route. But because of the almost hour delay in Interlaken takes 3 hours 26m.

You may find this trip report of interest. I remember seeing your hotel from the Lake Thun paddle steamer. It looks great. Enjoy. 😎

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2020 at 9:10:51 #930490

Nice work!

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2020 at 9:33:57 #930491

<<“(2) I will only have 6 minutes two change platform at Bern station (from

platform 3 to 6). Is 6 minutes really enough time to change platform

with luggage and kids?”>>

Hi GpOz –

How old are the kids?

I agree that the change at Bern seems tight, but 6 minutes is standard, and Rockoyster has given a good perspective. When you look at the station map, you’ll see that Bern is not a terminal station. The trains pass thorough, rather than reversing. The under-track passage is near the middle of the station, so, if you choose to go through Bern and have the choice, follow Rockoyster’s advice and try to sit near the middle of the incoming train.

I can see that you have used the timetable thoroughly, but I wonder if you have learned to force it to display different routes by using the “via” option.,as described here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Ordinarily, the computer defaults to the fastest route, but a look at a map can suggest alternate routes to check out. The route from Luzern over the Brunig Pass via Meiringen looks shorter on the map, for example. It is a scenic route, but slow because of the mountainous route, or, for you, because you don’t make a good connection onward to Beatenburg from Interlaken.

Actually, it often shows in the timetable as the fastest route from Luzern to Interlaken…….so that you don’t have to force it with a “via” .

And, every map has its good features, and I tend to like this one because of the way the train lines standout as you zoom in.

map.search.ch/?pos=633342,170928&z=64&poi=bergbahn,haltestelle,zug

And, I used the menu to turn on icons for stations and bus stops. Mouse over an icon for more details,

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 22:36:51 #930492

Thank you for your reply Ildiko. I will check the luggage policy.

Slowpoke, thank you for letting me know about search route using “via” option on sbb.ch. The kids are of age 6 and 10. They will be able to roll cabin luggage and walk fast enough to change the platform at Bern station.

My preference is to get to the Hotel by 7 pm so that when I reach there I can find restaurants opened for dinner. Hence, faster route through Thun is an attractive option. However, it requires a few changes with time restrictions.

After reading all your replies, now I am more inclined to take faster route through Thun. In case if I miss connection at Bern / Thun / beatenbucht , alternative train connection through interlaken west and bus to beatenberg will get me to the hotel by 7:30 pm.

Regards.

GpOz

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2020 at 23:01:24 #930493

Hi GpOz-

Nice to see how the transport system gives you options. Some find it confusing. I don’t. I enjoy working through the options when planning. I’ve been there enough that I may have a preferred location for a stopover, etc. Or want to see particular scenery. And, glad that you have figured out your best option , as well as a backup.

<<“My preference is to get to the Hotel by 7 pm so that when I reach there I can find restaurants opened for dinner.”>> Understandable. Especially with the kids. I hope that you are not dealing with jet lag.

I don’t know the local customs where you are staying, and I did not see your date (day of the week) of travel, but many of the Swiss Inns that I have stayed at over the years keep their dining rooms open as late as 10 PM, sometimes later. They may make an exception on Sundays.

Also, some bus routes may have reduced service on Saturdays or Sundays.

If it really concerns you, obviously, you can check with your accommodation. Many inns post the specific times on their websites.

All that is just for information. It is clear that you have planned carefully. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2020 at 23:46:44 #930494

Slowpoke,

I will be travelling on Tuesday. My journey will start from Zurich on Tuesday morning. The plan for the day is as per below.

Check out from Hotel in Zurich around 9:45 am.

Go to Zurich HB main station (which is less than 10 minutes of walk from Hotel) to take 10:10 train for Fluelen and reach there by 11:30.

Take Lucerne cruise at 12. Reach Lucerne by 3 pm.

1 hour break for food (Burger King) and shopping at Coop.

Rest is as mentioned in my initial post.

I have planned my itinerary for my 3 night stay in Zurich and still working on itinerary for 3 nights stay on beatenberg.

From Beatenberg will be going to Geneva for 3 more nights stay.

GpOz

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2020 at 2:40:15 #930495

Hi GpOz,

That context is useful. I was wondering why you were constrained to departing Luzern at a particular time.

In my experience, kids in that age group would have long since “died” of starvation by 3:00pm. They would have certainly become cranky. 😉

Have lunch on the paddle steamer. Get the 15:06 Luzern-Interlaken Express and enjoy the Brünig Pass and passing alongside Lake Brienz. Do your “shopping” at the large Coop adjacent to Interlaken Ost station. Catch a bus or train to InterlakenWest and the B101 to your hotel. You will be there a smidgeon after 18:30. Interlaken is a much nicer place to while away an hour than the crowded underground shopping/food mall at Luzern HB.

Just a suggestion. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2020 at 0:10:56 #930496

Hi rockoyster,

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. Yes, I agree that we should take lunch early and as you suggested on paddle steamer on Lake Lucerne Cruise. It will be good to take 15:06 Luzern-Interlaken Express to go through scenic route.

Thank you.

GpOz

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2020 at 0:15:01 #930497

Good choice. 🤓

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 February 2020 at 2:22:23 #930498

Hi GpOz-

I’m not sure that I follow the details of this thread. So, forgive me if I am telling you something that you already know.

<<” Take Lucerne cruise at 12. Reach Lucerne by 3 pm.

1 hour break for food (Burger King) and shopping at Coop. “

>>

This timetable shows which lake boats have a restaurant…sometimes both first and second class.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/timetable-fares/timetable/

Schedules vary with date of travel. Make sure that you get the correct seasonal timetable. I do not believe that we know your dates. I picked Summer for this observation:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fileadmin/lakelucerne/content/Dokumente_Downloads_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Saisonaler_Fahrplan/2020/2020_Fahrplan_Sommer.pdf

There is are generally restaurants on board the xx00 lake boat from Flüelen. On others, the service can vary. Study the icons and footnotes if you have not done so already,

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Luggage on funicular and bus to Beatenberg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.