Luggage on train to Rochers-de-Naye

• Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    21 November 2019 at 15:18:55 #824509

Golden pass panoramic train leaving zweisimmen on 14:25 will montreux on 16:13.

Train to rochers de naye will depart from momtreux on 16:17.

Is this possible to switch between trains with just a 4 minute transfer time.

I will not have time to put luggage in lockers on montreux in 4minutes and switch between trains so can I bring luggage with me on mountain train from montreux to rochers de naye?

Please suggest.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2019 at 18:22:02 #925446

Hi Malang85,

4 mins are quite a tight connection time. Usually trains in Switzerland are punctual, but I think I would pick the next train and spend some time in Montreux.

Have you checked the timetable from Zweisimmen to Rochers-de-Naye? The timetable only suggests doable connections. Learn more about short connection times at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

When are you planning to visit it? In December the train is called Santa Claus train and it is very popular, booking is essential.

How big is your luggage? I do not remember to see many spaces for big luggage inside the carriages, but as there is also an accommodation on the top, probably there won’t be any problem with your bag.

Further information about Rochers-de-Naye at http://www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye.

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    21 November 2019 at 18:56:47 #925447

Hi Ildiko,

Thanks for reply.

I have checked SBB timetables and as per timetable shown, itinerary seems doable but my concern is luggage.

I will be having one large and one medium sized trolley bag. After return from rochers de naye, I will proced further to Geneva as my night stay will be in Geneva.

I dont know whether luggage can be carried on mountain train upto rocher de naye or not.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 November 2019 at 19:47:50 #925448

I think you are travelling in May right?

You should make the 4 minute connection but carting bags up there will be a pain in the neck. It shouldn’t be a problem on the train at that time though but what you do with you bags while you wander about up top I’m not sure.

Don’t wait for the 17:17. Otherwise you will only get 5 minutes up top as the last train down is 18:11.

Once you arrive at Montreux, make a decision based on whether you can actually see Rochers-de-Naye. It may be clouded over in which case don’t bother.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 November 2019 at 21:01:03 #925449

Attached are a couple of shots of the RdN train. Sometimes they only run one carriage.

Maybe they put large luggage in the truck up front? 😉. Although there is a little space at each end of the carriage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2019 at 23:37:21 #925450

The 4 min connection is no problem. The MOB tracks are adjacent to the Rochers de Naye tracks under the ‘cliffside’ on the north side of Montreux station

However there is not a great deal of luggage space on the RdN trains as they are mainly expected to be day trippers on board. The extra luggage wagon is unlikely to be deployed unless for groups or perhaps to deliver some beer to the restaurant at the top

3.bp.blogspot.com/-lGvG9hTPw0o/UHp1sQD-ZHI/AAAAAAAABJ4/wA9Y3v NSpM4/s1600/Gare+de+Mo ntreux+039.JPG

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    22 November 2019 at 4:50:07 #925451

Big thanks to Rockoyster and 1960 Man for support.

I just wanted to ask that how far is the summit from Rochers de Naye station.

Thanks in advance.

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    22 November 2019 at 5:19:06 #925452

Friends,

one more thing is to be asked that while transferring between MOB track and Rochers De Naye track on Montreux station , whether we will have to use under pass, over-bridge or these tracks are two sides of same single platform(Island platform)..

Please guide on the same as from picture it’s not clear.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 November 2019 at 6:31:44 #925453

Scroll through this brochure and you will find a map. The “panorama” lookout above and to the right of the station is about 10-15 minutes walk each way. I went there – I never went to the summit – it looked a bit steep for my old legs.

You will arrive at platform 6 and depart platform 8. Get yourself the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) which will show you the platform layout for train connections. 6 and 8 are essentially two sides of the same platform. See attached.

Anna
    6376 posts
    22 November 2019 at 6:38:30 #925454

Hi Malang85,

I think the train from Zweisimmen arrives in Montreux on Platform 6. The train that leaves for Rochers de Naye leaves from Platform 8. I think you would need to cross the platform via an underpass. In any case, please check the timetable for the correct timing and platform information. (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable)

Regards,
    Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 November 2019 at 6:40:14 #925455

I think you would need to cross the platform via an underpass.

Barp! 😉

Platforms 6 and 8 are part of the MOB station and distinct from the SBB main lines. See attached from http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/montreux-station.html.

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    22 November 2019 at 7:19:52 #925456

Thanks Rockoyster for prompt response and clarification.

• The thread ‘Luggage on train to Rochers-de-Naye’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.