Luggage on trains – bring with us or send ahead?

• autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    5 December 2017 at 19:36:21 #813778

We will have 2 standard large wheeled suitcases, 2 duffle bags, and our backpacks for our 14 day trip. How reasonable is it that we will be able to transport these on the trains from Airport to Lucerne; Lucerene to Wengen; Wengen to Montreux; and Montreux to Zurich Airport. I see we can pay for 48 hour shipping (drop off at train station, pick up 2 days later). Should we utilize this option? Advice? I know packing light, but not sure if we’ll have a drop off wash and fold service available in Bern to help us pack for a week only?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    6 December 2017 at 1:30:33 #872614

And how many people will be involved in lugging the luggage? Some trains have a luggage area in each car where you can store the bags, and the ones I’ve traveled on also have overhead racks for medium to smaller bags. Of course a lot depends on how full the train gets. The locations you mention – are you staying overnight between each leg of the journey?

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    6 December 2017 at 1:43:44 #872615

Yes, my husband and I and staying in each area at least 3 nights. Looking into doing laundry during a day trip to Bern to pack for only 1 week to minimize bags.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 December 2017 at 2:41:58 #872616

Hi autumnz,

For what it’s worth . . . .

My wife and I spent almost 4 weeks training around Switzerland in May this year. We had a wheelie suitcase and a backpack each. We had initially planned to forward our luggage when taking the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express so as to better enjoy the experience. After taking trains Basel – Lucerne – Interlaken – Spiez – Brig on the first 2 days of our trip we ditched the luggage service idea and just took the gear with us. It was no trouble at all. We did take care to book hotels within easy walking distance of the stations. I think Chur was the furthest at around 300m.

We are both in our 60s.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 7:01:12 #872617

Hi Autumnz,

My first thought is to try and downsize to one piece of luggage and a backpack – to save your arms/back and some money if you decide to send luggage ahead.

Either option is valid though. You shouldn’t have much trouble taking luggage with you on the train – unless the train is very busy. When searching for a train to take on the timetable, avoid trains with 3 red people icons under capacity. Another option is to travel 1st class as it is always less busy.

The luggage service is quite popular and a good option as well. You can also use an express service if you can’t wait the 2 days for your luggage. Read more about the luggage options here.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    6 December 2017 at 14:49:20 #872618

Just back from our trip which included Paris and Zermatt.

4 of us had 9 pieces of luggage–we needed dress clothes for Paris and snowboard equipment in long bags for Zermatt.

We had first class passes and had wonderful help (an employee helped us get everything on and off the train) on the TGV from Paris to Basle. The rest of the trip we moved it ourselves. There are ramps to go up and down in Visp. Also there are elevators in Basle. Escalators are not always a good choice but they are better than stairs. I would caution about hotels that are too far from the station. Zurich was the only problem because it’s hard to get a taxi/vehicle that will hold the long snowboard bags. We finally arranged at our hotel to get a big enough vehicle to get us to the airport–not cheap but there wasn’t any other choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 22:11:25 #872619

If you are staying in Wengen, there is a small coin-operated laundry with two washing machines, two dryers, a small table and chair, which is open from 07:00-22:00. It’s located in the InterSport building adjacent to the tennis court, not far from the railway station, and is called a “Waschsalon”.

Machines cost CHF 5.00, and you can use coins in denominations of CHF 1.00, 2.00 and 5.00 as well as CHF 0.10, 0.20, 0.50. The machine doesn’t give change.

Washing powder can be purchased at the reception of the nearby Hotel Silberhorn, and you can also get change for the machines there.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Luggage on trains – bring with us or send ahead?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.