Swiss trains luggage service – worth it?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 15:46:57 #813216

I will be traveling with my husband, mom and 1yo daughter and flying into Zurich via swissair. First stop is Lauterbrunnen. I understand that there is a luggage service that brings our bags to the next destination upon arrival without the need to pick up our luggage at the airport.

How easy is it to travel with luggage on trains? Are transfers easy and is it typically ok to find space to stow luggage away in trains? Or will I be better off sending my luggage in advance so our travel is easier?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 2:24:26 #869619

>> How easy is it to travel with luggage on trains?

If you have no more luggage than you can manage without assitance (e.g. one rolling suitcase and one daypack per adult) and at least one member of your party is physically able to get it up two or three steps onto a train, then it is not a problem. Some trains also have doorways level with the platform, so you can roll your luggage straight onto the train. One example is the Luzern-Interlaken Express: look for a door with a wheelchair graphic on it (see attached photos).

>> Are transfers easy

Yes. Most platforms have ramps to transfer between platforms or out onto the street. Major stations also have lifts and/or escalators.

>> and is it typically ok to find space to stow luggage away in trains?

You can always find somewhere to put your luggage. In peak season you might have to settle for somewhere out of your view, but there will always be somewhere. I understand you are travelling in October, which is not peak season, so this should not be an issue for you.

>> Or will I be better off sending my luggage in advance so our travel is easier?

The answer to that question will vary depending on your age, fitness, and how much luggage you have. Only you can decide what’s right for you and your travelling companions. The majority of people manage their own luggage without difficulty in my experience.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 13:56:43 #869620

Hi Slothrabbit,

I agree with Alpenrose – I wouldn’t be worried about taking luggage on train unless you have a lot!

If you would like to read more about the luggage services in case you want to send everything ahead click here.

• The thread ‘Swiss trains luggage service – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.