Luggage storage at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen

• Ashleyrampar
    Participant
    23 posts
    15 January 2020 at 23:34:56 #824906

Hi guys,

I am looking for luggage storage (01 suite case and 03 handcarry) at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen station for 5-6 hours.

I am leaving Lauterbrunnen Sunday morning in July 19, 2020 and going Grindelwald for Activities and then go Lucerne afterwards.

Which station should I leave luggage and if lockers size is not big enough for my suitcase and handcarry then can I drop off with the left luggage office at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen station.

Another question is, when I leave Zurich station for Lauterbrunnen(July 16,2020) all coaches of the train has luggage storage facility or do I need to look for certain coach (how to recognize).

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 January 2020 at 2:06:33 #928073

You would be better to leave your luggage at Grindelwald otherwise you will need to double back to Lauterbrunnen (which is not on the Grindelwald to Luzern route) to collect it.

There are no special coaches for luggage. Just board any carriage (of the correct class) and figure out where best to stash it. Train types vary so there is no common rule.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 January 2020 at 4:25:26 #928074

When we were in Switzerland in September/October I took a few pictures of the various places we stashed our luggage. My wife and I had a backpack and medium suitcase each.

Most times when we moved from base to base we elected to travel 1st Class simply because there is more room and it was easier to find space to store our suitcases close to where we were sitting.

On our first trip in 2017 we had intended to use the luggage forwarding service offered by SBB but we soon realised it was pretty easy to carry luggage with us. We took heart from advice from others on this forum and from this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2020 at 5:33:22 #928075

Hi there,

we usually travel on the 2nd class and never had a problem with the big suitcases (around 20-22 kg). Sometimes we have to leave the luggage out of our site (in the beginning or at the end of the coaches), this feels a little bit strange so in the beginning my husband always checked it when we were stopped at a station. Our values are always with us in a smaller backpack. Never leave your values unattended!

Rockoyster, very useful pictures, thank you for sharing them!

Ildiko

Ashleyrampar
    Participant
    23 posts
    16 January 2020 at 6:26:24 #928076

Appreciate your quick response,

Now only question left is ….leaveing luggage at Grindelwald station for 5-6 hours and if lockers size is not big enough for my suitcase (normal medium suitcase) so can I drop off with the left luggage office at Grindelwald station.

Are they have left luggage office at Grindelwald?

Thanks for your efforts.

Ashleyrampar
    Participant
    23 posts
    16 January 2020 at 6:27:13 #928077

Rockoyster your pictures are great help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 January 2020 at 6:43:55 #928078

Hi Ash,

There are 20 lockers at Grindelwald with size – 24.8 x 42.0 x 75.0cm

There is a left luggage office open 06:40 – 18:00.

See http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.7380.grindelwald.html.

You’re welcome.🤓

Ashleyrampar
    Participant
    23 posts
    16 January 2020 at 8:12:55 #928079

Thanks and wish I can help people like you

Regards

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    17 January 2020 at 1:53:58 #928080

Hello,

I had inquired last about leaving luggage at the Train Station in Lauterbrunnen. I contacted the Tourist Bureau. They will be able to help you, however, they of course can never know how many storage places are available at any given time. This makes the planning a bit of a challenge…

By the way, Lauterbrunnen is such a beautiful place!! I was there (as well as in Mürren and a few other nearby locations) in 2018, 2019 and am going back this year. I wish you a wonderful trip!

• The thread ‘Luggage storage at Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.