Luggage storage – train station locker time limit?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 2:24:24 #812260

Hi,

I found information on sbb.ch website regarding luggage sizes & lockers.

But need to ask price written is for 24 hour or for one-time use?

My entry and exit point for Switzerland is in Basel. So if i put my luggage in Basel train station, i will be charged 9 CHF for each day or one time only?

Also, on this link http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Basic Luggage Service and Express luggage service, but the price is not mentioned.

Regards,

Syed Hussain

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 9:29:01 #865108

Hi Syed,

Yes, the lockers are only for 24 hours of use. I don’t know why it isn’t mentioned in the SBB website – bizarre!

Our luggage web page you note above is just about sending luggage not about storage – but there are links on the page to SBB for you to find price for both sent luggage and storage.

Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2017 at 2:07:13 #865109

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply.

So it means maximum i can use it for 24 hours, what if i need to store luggage for 3-4 days? Happy to pay locker fee for each day.

Thanks,

Syed

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 June 2017 at 4:59:34 #865110

Hi.

I remember in the old days there was a place in major stations where you could hand in your bags for long term storage. I took a gang of kids to Switzerland once and we left a few suitcases at the consigne in Lausanne for three weeks. Maybe these no longer exist and there are only lockers ? I don’t know, yet. But I did a bit of google-imaging and came across this for the the CFF station at the Geneva Airport. Just possibly this is also available at the SBB in Basel ? It looks like there are five different locker sizes and the storage period is up to 96 hours (4 days).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2017 at 10:44:20 #865111

Hi Syedali-

Haven’t tried this for a while, but in years past, after you ran out of time in a locker, someone would open it and take it to the baggage storage office. Then, if you showed your key, they would give you your luggage, and charge you the per day rate for storage. Of course, you had to get there when the left luggage office was open.

On the occasions when that happened to me, the time limut was 72 hours, but, things like that change. 24 hours does not surprise me.

You could drop a note to the Sto check; they answer e-mails reasonably quickly.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Luggage storage – train station locker time limit?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.