Luggage transfer services

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2015 at 0:50:37 #807067

Hi all

Two questions:

Staying in Zurich, Wilderswil, and Bern

1) Just wondering if there is a way to transfer my luggage between each of these cities when I move?

2) Am leaving for Munich after Bern. I have a Swiss Travel Pass, but I believe that only applies to Switzerland. What is the best way to buy transportation to Munich from Bern?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2015 at 1:59:27 #842410

<<“[quote]gwaipor said:

Hi all

Two questions:

Staying in Zurich, Wilderswil, and Bern

1) Just wondering if there is a way to transfer my luggage between each of these cities when I move?”>>

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/baggage.html

You’ll probably need a train ticket or rail pass to use that service.. Might need to use Interlaken Ost, instead of Wilderswil for one luggage destination…I did not check the station lists on the link above. Wilderswil is not a large station.; I.O. is close by, and much larger.

While you are there, take a look at the trains up to Schynige Platte.

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 April 2015 at 9:40:20 #842411

Hi gwaipor,

1) Information and links can be found here. The standard luggage service is available to Wilderswil as well. The fast service isn’t.

2) Your Swiss Travel Pass covers traveling to the border, which is Basel or Schaffhausen, depending on your route. Please see the map for details. You need a ticket from that point to Munich. The easiest way to get one is to order it along with your Swiss Travel Pass. If you already have the pass you can of course still purchase it separately. Points of sale are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2015 at 11:12:47 #842412

1) Thanks for the links. I’ve read an idea when going from Interlaken to Bern is to use luggage delivery to Bern, and then we can take the Lake Thun boat and explore Thun. Is this a good idea?

2) I was wondering if there is a similar pass in Germany and Austria to the Swiss Travel Pass? I plan to do day trips from the big cities, but also use the city transport within the city

Thanks!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2015 at 15:58:38 #842413

<<“gwaipor said:

1) Thanks for the links. I’ve read an idea when going from Interlaken to Bern is to use luggage delivery to Bern, and then we can take the Lake Thun boat and explore Thun. Is this a good idea? “>>

I think it is a good idea.

Check the cost per bag.

I have done that sort of thing often in the past, when I traveled on business and then hiked afterward. When I finished my business travel, I sent a bag with my suit(s), good shoes, etc. to the airport train station. Then I picked it up when I flew home.

I have not used it in the recent past, since they reinstated the ‘Fast” service. The Swiss do that sort of thing very well, so it will surely work well for you.

It always worked well for me. I tended to use it for longer distances. I’m sure it would work well for Bern, although those distances are close enough that you could consider some other approaches. You could, if you wish, put your bags in a locker or the Left Luggage service at Thun, explore, and then pick them up and continue to Bern. Sending them to Bern is simpler, but it sounds like you might need to use Interlaken Ost, instead of Wildrswil if you want Fast Service.

• The thread ‘Luggage transfer services’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.