Where to have lunch on Lauterbrunnen-Sisikon trip?

• Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    22 March 2017 at 16:42:30 #811160

I will be taking a boat from Luzern to Tellsplatte after arriving from Lauterbrunnen and will be camping the night in the Sisikon area (walking from Tellsplatte to Sisikon on Swiss Path). I am debating where to have lunch. I can delay my boat departure from Luzern if there are good restaurants within walking distance from the train, or eat on the boat. any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2017 at 10:16:07 #860371

You can lunch everywhere you want. On the station, in the city Luzern (the railway station is close to the centre) or in the train or on the boat. A lunch is not so important when your on traveling I think, take somthing with you on your trip and eat when you are hungry. You can also you own lunch eat in the train or on the boat and buy it in a shop before traveling.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    23 March 2017 at 14:17:03 #860372

Thank you, I will be coming from a few weeks of trekking, staying in Lauterbrunnen briefly, I was looking forward to some civilization so to speak in the city in an actual restaurant maybe.

I was wanting to know if anyone had eaten on the boat or nearby the station to give recommendations but it sounds like if you are recommending taking a sandwich or snack the quality for a hot meal must be poor, so thank you!

Arno
    15478 posts
    23 March 2017 at 15:31:08 #860373

I’ve had lunch on that boat and really enjoyed it. Also I had dinner on the Golden Pass train and loved that too. Nothing beats a good meal and scenery passing by! You’ll find plenty of restaurants in Lucerne but I don’t have specific recommendations there. I even enjoyed the train station restaurant a long time ago, which is pretty affordable but not a scenic place.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2017 at 18:35:41 #860374

Hi Debra-

Just how good should the restaurant be?

(good = expensive).

I know the chef (Ralph Thomas) who has just taken over the restaurant Bam Bou near Luzern main station.

http://www.bambou-luzern.ch/en/

His restaurant in Dallenwill was always a “must visit” whenever I was near Luzern.

He is cooking French, not fusuion, at Bam Bou by Thomas. Disregard any reviews prior to March 1, 2017.

Instead, look for Restaurant Kreuz in Dallenwil, where he cooked for many years.

The Palace Hotel usually has the best kitchen in Luzern. If you go in the evening, you’ll be more comfortable if you dress up a bit. The outdoor dining on the terrace is probably not quite so concerned about how you dress.

For years, my choice for moderate prices and decent food was the Rathaus Brauerei beside the river ( #2 Unter den Egg) , near the old Rathaus. In German, Rathaus means council house or city hall.

http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch /

It changed hands over the winter, and I wont be able to check it out until May. Great location if you can eat outdoors. Inside has nice atmosphere.

If they are full. restaurant La Barca, close by, is the kitchen from the Hotel Schiff ( now closed.) They still have a good reputation; I have not tried them yet, since the hotel portion closed. They were excellent in the hotel. Reasonable prices by Luzern standards.

If you want more information. I’ll ask a friend who lives in Sachselnm and eats in Luzern frequently. He tend to avoid the expensive places.

Slowpoke

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    23 March 2017 at 20:04:00 #860375

Thank you Slowpoke! It will be lunchtime when I arrive there. Actually I will be ending up back in Luzern as it happens the next day after hiking near Stoos and will be camping at the Lido. I think it would be odd going to a nice place with a huge backpack though so outside places would be better for the lunch. For the following day I may splurge for dinner, leaving the pack at the campsite and taking the bus to town. I am bookmarking your post, it was very helpful!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2017 at 20:47:56 #860376

As you walk along the lake shore from the Lido,. you will pass the Place. Take a look at their terrace and their menu.

People with boots and backpacks, although often small ones, are everywhere in Switzerland. The Swiss hike a lot, and they welcome tourists more than any country I have ever been in. If the terrace is open (weather) check the menu. Hold onto your wallet while you do so.

There are some places along the lake shore walk from the Lido to the main station. Some seem nice as i have walked by. There is a branch of the Schweizerhof, which should be good, in the park before you get to the Palace.

Link attached.

Typical big city Swiss prices.

http://www.villa-schweizerhof.ch/en/din ing/fish/which should be good.

Don’t ignore the restaurant at the Lido. Even though it is self-service, such places often have very good food. At least, check it out.

http://www.lidogastronomie.ch /restaurant/

I could not find an English translation.

Slowpoke

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    23 March 2017 at 22:13:33 #860377

Ah yes I saw the Schweizerhof (?sp) on Tripadvisor and it looked close. I am reserving a few “splurge” days for eating out and also have 2 hotel rooms booked at the end of the trip, one in Gruyeres and one near Veytax-Chillon (again not sure the spelling). All the nights of sleeping on dirt I will save up for some luxury!

• The thread ‘Where to have lunch on Lauterbrunnen-Sisikon trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.