Luzern 3-days trip suggestion in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2019 at 17:17:46 #820172

Hi,

I have posted my 3-days trip suggestion earlier too but now it has changed a bit and is final as flights are booked too. We are 2-adults and 2-kids (14 and 9 years old). We want to cover: Zurich, Bern. Luzern, and Interlaken just main tourist places (not interested in museums n all) . Please advice or suggest anything to add or skip. We are planning to take 3/4-days STP. Below is my tentative plan so far. I have 2 plans, please let me know which one is better.

Plan A

July 18: reaching Zurich airport at 5p. Check-in at a hotel near airport. Drop luggage and head to Zurich HB to roam at Zurich bahnhofstrasse for couple of hours (may be from 8-10p, depending on time it takes to come out of the airport) and back to hotel. Is it too late or ok?

July 19: check-out from hotel and head to Lucerne early morning. Drop luggage at Luzern hotel then head to Titlis and in the afternoon/evening do Mt. Rigi.

July 20: morning 8a head to Interlaken and do Schilthorn, then around 4p head to Bern and roam around for couple of hours and back to Luzern.

July 21: morning visit Luzern old town. Lion Mountain. chapel bridge. Then take 12:18p train to Venice.

Plan B

July 18: reaching Zurich airport at 5p. Take train and head to Interlaken and check-in at a hotel there.

July 19: Do Schilthorn then goto Gstaad for 1-2 hr. Take late evening goldenpass line train route back to Luzern. If I take late evening train around 7p, will I be able to view the scenic beauty on this route?

July 20: Morning 8a visit Titlis and in the late afternoon to Bern.

July 21: Early morning do Mt. Rigi then take 12:18p train to Venice. Is it doable or might miss the train. If so, can take later train from Arth Goldau.

Please suggest which plan is more feasible.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2019 at 19:04:33 #905298

After doing little more research on Gstaad, I found out that it is 2hrs. from Interlaken and Gstaad to Lecerne is 4hrs. by train. So we will skip Gstaad. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 8:40:04 #905299

Hi Sukunag,

I’d use the timetable for Swiss railways (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your trips and see how long they will take to do. For example: Plan A July 19 would be a long day – need an early start for sure.

Sunset on July 19 at Interlaken is 21:16 so you should have a reasonable amount of daylight for the first part of your trip on the Golden Pass. (you’d arrive in Lucerne at 20:55 (leaving Interlaken on 19:04 train)).

Both Plan A and B can work – it depends on what you want to see/do personally (IE skip Zurich for Interlaken on July 18). Play with the timetable to see what days look better/easier for you and go with that. Note if you have a long flight when you arrive in Zurich you may not want to deal with a 2+ hour train ride to Interlaken (with at least 1 train change).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2019 at 20:00:59 #905300

Thanks, Lucas. I have been using the timetable to plan the trip. Just have couple of more questions/clarifications.

1. For Plan A- July 18, visiting Zurich bahnhofstrasse around 8p would be too late or ok.

2. For Plan B – July 21, can I visit Mt. Rigi in the morning and catch 12:18p train to Milan or it will too tight.

3. How long will it take for Schilthron summit trip from Interlaken? We just want to go to the summit for the view.

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2019 at 9:20:14 #905301
    1. Too late for what? Shops would be closed, restaurants and bars would be open. Lovely stroll if it is warm out for sure.
    2. Did it look ok to you on the timetable when you searched? Lucerne to Rigi is about 1.5 hours each way according to the timetable. So you’d want to leave by 10:30am. You can go to Rigi very early and it would be fine I think – up to you.
    3. Did you check the timetable? Interlaken to Schilthorn. I’d give yourself 45 minutes or so at the top if you just want to look and come down (longer if you want to enjoy yourself, soak up the views, take lots of pictures etc).
  • The thread ‘Luzern 3-days trip suggestion in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.