Luzern to Andermatt train timings

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 9:31:46 #817186

Hi,

My husband daughter & I will require to travel to Andermatt to catch the glacier express to Zermatt. We have already done the reservation on the Glacier express 905 departing andermatt at 15:08 on the 21st July

Please can you inform me what train I can catch from Luzern where we will be staying to reach Andermatt well in time to catch the Glacier express. All bookings have been done so I really need to be on time

We have bought the Swiss travel pass for the 8 days that we will be in Switzerland

Regards, Zenia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 23:38:33 #890968

Direct main line SBB Inter-Regio express train Luzern – Erstfeld, change to regional train Erstfeld -Göschenen. Change at Göschenen into narrow gauge MGB railway train up the famous Schöllenen gorge to Andermatt. Journey time just under 2 hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 5:19:10 #890969

Hi Zenia,

You can use the timetable for Swiss railways to plan your trip. Just switch the departure toggle to arrive and enter 14:30 or so. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Looks like you’ll need to take the 12:18 train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 10:48:45 #890970

Thankyou for your response. When I use the timetable Luzern to Andermatt it says that no connection can be found. Is it possible to tell me the train times or can I go to Luzern station on the 19th & get the details there? Rgds, Zenia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 11:01:37 #890971

Thankyou for your response. I have noted the stations & will search for the train timings. I was hoping for a more direct route. Rgds, Zenia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 11:06:21 #890972

That is very strange.

I just used the SBB timetable and it shows many trips throughout the day from Lucerne to Andermatt on July 21.

There is an 11:18 train from Luzern and a 12:18 train. They arrive at Andermatt at 13:14 and 14:14 respectively. The 12:18 train is shown to be very busy so arrive and board as early as you can in Luzern if you go for that one. No trains or buses run direct to Andermatt.

I’d try the timetable again as well to make sure it works for you. It will be very useful for you while you are in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 11:22:49 #890973

Thankyou Lucas. I managed to get it .

11:18 Luzern to reach Erstfeld at 12:24

12:37 Estfeld to reach Goschenen 13:02 Platform 1

13:04 Goschenen . Platform 11 to reach Andermatt at 13:14

My query is how far is platform 1 to platform 11 given that we have only 2 minutes & is there another train from Goschenen to Andermatt if we miss the 13:04 .Please help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 18:53:03 #890974

It is a tight connection indeed. You should be ok but if you miss that train, the timetable shows another at 13:11.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2018 at 2:06:17 #890975

>> how far is platform 1 to platform 11 given that we have only 2 minutes

It’s very close – a matter of a few metres, and 2 minutes is the standard transfer time at Göschenen. Be ready at the door with your luggage just before the train pulls in to Göschenen.

You will arrive in Göschenen on platform 1. Platform 11 is just on the other side of the station building on platform 1. So you will just have to walk through or around that building to get to Platform 11 (see attached pictures).

Here are a few tips regarding the scenery:

• Before you get to Göschenen, you go through Wassen, with its little white church perched on a prominent hill in the village. You see the church three times, out of alternating sides of the train, as the train negotiates a series of loops to gain height within a short distance as it makes its way up the mountain.
    • After the steep climb out of Göschenen you travel past the rugged Schöllenenschlucht (Schöllenen Gorge) and Teufelsbrücke (Devil’s Bridge).
    • If you’re quick enough, you can glimpse the red painting of the devil and goat on the rock face at the side of the (roadway) tunnel entrance at the end of the Devil’s Bridge. This painting depicts an old legend about how the bridge was built in this very challenging terrain, by means of bargaining with the devil.
    • Travelling towards Andermatt, sit on the left, ideally facing backwards, to get the best view of the gorge, as it passes in a flash. I have attached some photos of the Teufelsbrücke (Devil’s Bridge) in the Schöllenenschlucht.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 0:29:02 #890976

There isn’t one!

Since the opening of the Gotthard base tunnel the Swiss have deliberately made it more difficult to get to Göschenen, the only everyday trains on the Gotthard mountain route are local trains so you have to change at Erstfeld

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 1:43:16 #890977

Thank you amazing ones for all the information. The photos are brilliant too. Just one last question. Do the hotels supply complimentary tea & coffee with a kettle as room amenities or can I bring my own travelling kettle. Tkx .Zenia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 7:37:51 #890978

I’ve noticed, in general, that most hotels in Switzerland and Europe do not offer kettles or coffee in your room. Exceptions are chain hotels typically.

I don’t see any issue bringing your own kit.

• The thread ‘Luzern to Andermatt train timings’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.