Luzern to Zermatt via Bern and Visp

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2017 at 14:34:56 #811308

Hi ,

My husband and I are going to Switzerland in May and travelling around by train. One of the sector from Luzern to Zermatt involves 2 connections . As we are in our 60’s, I will like to find out how difficult it is to find the platforms at each station and changing trains in Bern and Visp especially with our luggages.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 April 2017 at 16:29:43 #861100

Hi Euniceho,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Changing trains is very easy. There are signs and displays everywhere, and there will be staff too on larger stations. If you read myswissalps.com/train/ practical/howtotravel you’ll be prepared.

For good scenery, I’d recommend the local train from Luzern via Schüpfheim to Bern. There you can change for Visp, where the train to Zermatt departs.

For even better scenery you can travel from Luzern along the Golden Pass line to Interlaken, then change to Spiez and proceed to Visp from there. So that’s one more change, but again it’s not difficult and just a normal thing to do when traveling by train.

If you want the maximize the views you can take the slow route from Spiez via Kandersteg to Brig, where trains to Zermatt depart as well. This avoids the quick but long tunnel, so there’s much more to see. 3 changes in total.

All details are in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2017 at 9:48:55 #861101

>> As we are in our 60’s, I will like to find out how difficult it is to find the platforms at each station and changing trains in Bern and Visp especially with our luggages.

Both Bern and Visp have step-free access to platforms, which means a ramp at minimum. If you are walking along the platform and see stairs down to an underpass, keep walking and there will usually be a ramp leading down to the same underpass.

When you alight at Bern, look up at the blue and white signs along the platform to see what sector of the platform you are on (A, B, C, D). You can change platforms by ramp, escalator or lift as well as stairs. This is where to find them:

Sector A – stairs

Sector B – ramp

Between Sectors C and D (closer to D) – lifts and escalators.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2017 at 9:31:08 #861102

Thank you for your suggestions, it is most helpful

• The thread ‘Luzern to Zermatt via Bern and Visp’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.