Lucerne or Interlaken for 2-3 days in December?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 12:54:52 #814304

Hello – we will be in Switzerland In Dec 2018 while travelling from Paris on the way to Italy. At this stage, we are looking at 2-3 days in Switzerland. Since we are coming in Dec., we would love to see the snow. Can’t decide though if Lucerne or Interlaken…any advice? Hoping the cable car (in Lucerne to Mt Titlis) will be operating in December???

Also which of these cities has a better connection from Paris by train?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2018 at 5:31:45 #875964

Hello Meenu and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel and work out the times from Paris to Lucerne or Interlaken. They are both equally accessible from Basel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

If you go to Lucerne then Titlis should be operating in December.

You could also consider going from Paris to Zermatt where you would see the Matterhorn and lots of snow I would think.

From Zermatt it is easy to reach Milan via Domodossola. Or you could train across to Chur on the Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) and then take Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) to Tirano and on to Milan.

You have plenty of time to plan.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 6:38:04 #875965

Thanks Rockoyster for your response.

In that case we will stick to Lucerne and skip Interlaken unless you think Interlaken is a better option (as can only cover one).Do we usually have sunny days in December or is it usually grey and cloudy?

From Swizerland, we will be travelling to Rome (or Venice) – will the links you posted above have details on those routes too?

And when can we start booking the trains (both Paris to Lucerne and then Lucerne to Rome/Venice) as I heard somewhere the bookings open only 2-3 months in advance?

Regards

Meenu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 9:01:00 #875966

Hi Meenu,

Yes, train booking usually open 90 days in advance. If you are choosing between the towns then I’d pick Lucerne over Interlaken for sure. However if you think the Jungfrau region (around Interlaken) looks more interesting than Lucerne I’d look at a town like Lauterbrunnen.

Hard to say about the weather in December…I’d lean to clouds over sun but you can always be surprised. It’s much sunnier in the winter here then where I’m from (Vancouver) so it is all relative!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 12:21:49 #875967

Thanks Lucas

We australians are a bit spoilt when it comes to sunshine hence the question…I am sure Lucerne will be stunning whatever the weather might be.

Thanks for all the info

Regards

M

Arno
    15479 posts
    10 February 2018 at 15:09:08 #875968

Hi Menu,

For train transfers to Italy, please see here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 5:47:33 #875969

Thanks Arno – will have a look.

Can I also check if it will be more economical to buy point to point train tickets or should we opt for Eurail passes?

We are a family of 4 and will be travelling:

France to Swizerland, Lucerne to Rome and Rome to Venice – in a span of around 10 days or so.

Though we want to enjoy the scenic trains, time is also of essence so would like to go for the high speed trains too on some routes.

Thanks

Meenu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 8:40:07 #875970

It will depend on prices of point to point tickets into/ out of Switzerland vs the Eurail Select Pass – and how much train travel you are doing in France & Italy. If you are only taking one train out of and into those 2 countries I doubt the Eurail Pass is your best option.

Booking far out you may be able to get good prices on France to Switzerland and Switzerland to Italy. If that is the case I’d buy a Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days to cover Switzerland

• The thread ‘Lucerne or Interlaken for 2-3 days in December?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.