Making the most out of Interlaken short stay

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2020 at 11:19:02 #825187

We would be arriving Interlaken in April 7th afternoon from Zermatt. We will stay 7 and 8th April night in Interlaken. I need your help on below:

how can I cover both Schilthorn and Jungfrau in one day; asking as I want to go through Grindelwald and come back through Lauterbrunnen. I understand Schilthorn is close to Lauterbrunnen. Kindly let me know how I can plan my day of April 8th to cover both Jungfrau and Schilthorn.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2020 at 21:33:47 #929996

Hello Nitya,

Looks like you have the Jungfraujoch side of things sorted out. You will want to get an early start but make sure the weather forecast is favourable before buying tickets and setting off.

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg).

See http://www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn/gettingthere. I prefer the direction I described above. You will learn why as you leave Gimmelwald for Stechelberg.

This map will give you an idea of the lie if the land.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 1:22:25 #929997

Personally I would choose one or the other, as you won’t be in such a rush. Jungfraujoch is very expensive for what is – on the top half – a journey on an underground railway where the only scenery is rock walls. Assuming good weather you get a good view of all the big mountains from Mürren village, let alone the Schilthorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 3:35:48 #929998

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2020 at 14:59:42 #929999

Hi Nitya Singha

From one travel planner to another, I think 1960man’s advice is best. Pick one or the other.

We will be in the Interlaken area in early April as well. We were also going to try and do both areas but after a lot of research decided on just doing Schilthorn. Besides having lunch at the 007 restaurant (Piz Gloria) there seems to be enough to do and see in Murren, Gimmelwald and Birg as well as Schilthorn to make a non rushed relaxing day of it, not to mention saving some money. Try the circuit through Grutschalp that rockoyster mentions to round it out.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2020 at 21:19:00 #930000

I’ve never been to Jungfraujoch so I can’t say from personal experience whether I think it is worth it or not. Many, many tourists make a bee-line there.

If 8 April is a fabulous clear blue sky day than ask yourself whether you will get home and regret not having done Jungfraujoch when you had the chance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2020 at 23:17:06 #930001

Is the Swiss travels pass cover all these train and cable cars?

how late Interlaken city is open ? After coming back from mountain for stroll a city?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 February 2020 at 1:37:44 #930002

Not all cable cars and trains in the Jungfrau Region are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. You need to study the map and read the text at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

Interlaken doesn’t “close” I don’t think. Maybe shops will be closed by 6:00pm or so but there will be bars and restaurants open well into the night.

• The thread ‘Making the most out of Interlaken short stay’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.