Managing tickets from Wengen to Schynige Platte

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Yvette17
Yvette17
19 posts
Jun 13, 2017 - 1:48 PM

Just wondering if tickets for the journey from Wengen to Schynige Platt can be broken down to :

1). Wengen to Wilderswil at 8:33 to 9:18

2). Wilderswil to Schynige Platte at 10:05 to 10:57

It would be simpler to just get a ticket for Wengen to Schynige Platte , but I realized that we would have luggage with us and so we'd have to look for the luggage storage counter and Check-in luggage, so we might not make the 9:25 connection from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte. The next train is 10:05.

It will be our first time in Switzerland and I've read somewhere on this forum that for the trains going up the mountains we'd still have to line up for tickets even with Swiss Travel passes. So given the luggage issue it would be best to "break up" the journey , correct?

Could we just get the two segments at the station in Wengen ? Or would it be easy enough to just get the Wilderswil to Schynige Platte segment when we're done with the luggage at Wilderswil ?

I'd have to do the same process for the segments going to Wilderswil to Montreux.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 14, 2017 - 8:52 AM in reply to Yvette17

Hi Yvette,

I gather you are travelling with a Swiss Travel Pass, is that correct?

In that case, your travel from Wengen to Schynige Platte will be completely free and you will not need any tickets. You can break your journey anywhere you like for as long as you like.

>> I've read somewhere on this forum that for the trains going up the mountains we'd still have to line up for tickets even with Swiss Travel passes.

That's true where the Swiss Travel Pass provides a discount rather than free travel, or for (mainly) cable cars where there are barrier gates requiring everyone to have an electronic ticket to go through them.

However, with a Swiss Travel Pass, the trip to Schynige Platte is free. As far as I can recall, there is no barrier gate, so you don't even need to get a free electronic ticket - just board with your Swiss Travel Pass.

>> So given the luggage issue it would be best to "break up" the journey , correct?

This won't be relevant, as you don't need any tickets.

>> I'd have to do the same process for the segments going to Wilderswil to Montreux.

Wilderswil to Montreux is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You don't need any tickets and can break your journey anywhere for any length of time.

If you are travelling on the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Montreux, the trains on that route can get busy, and reservations (at additional cost) are recommended, particularly on the sector from Zweisimmen to Montreux. Making a reservation does commit you to traveling on a particular train.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jun 14, 2017 - 10:43 AM by Lucas
Yvette17
Yvette17
19 posts
Jun 14, 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thank you Alpenrose!!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018