Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike in October

• Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    13 September 2019 at 9:33:02 #823848

Hi!

We will be in jungfrau region in mid October and we are thinking of doing the Manlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hikk (if the weather is fine.)I’d like to

get the following confirmed by the experts:

1.Does the cable car ride from Wengen to Manlichen take around 15 minutes?

2.For the swiss travel pass will we get 50%off for the cable car?When buying tickets should I produce the travel pass for getting the discount?

3.We will be carrying backpacks as well.(Plus we want to take a lot of photos!)Will 1 hr 45 minutes be sufficient for the hike?

4.Are he directions Kleine Scheidegg clearly marked in the path?Is there any possibility of going on another direction?

5.Are the trail and the cable car system normally open in mid October?

6.I am also considering the hike to Kleine Scheidegg from Wengernalp but have the impression that the hike from Manlichen offers a better experience and view than the Wengernalp one.What do you think?

Any suggestions for another interesting hike in the region intead of these two?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 September 2019 at 12:51:21 #922171

Hi Xmistral99! Let’s have a look at your question:

1. Yes, that’s correct. The advanced SBB timetable at indicates all traveling times: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

2. Yes, just show your pass when buying the ticket and you’ll get 50% off: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse.

3. If you like to take things easy and make lots of photos, I’d plan a bit more time: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg.

4. Yes, the trail is very well marked.

5. The cable car Wengen-Männlichen is operational up to October 27 this year. The trail could still be accessible, but in case of early snowfall it may be closed.

6. Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg is definitely nice too, but Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg is more of an “alpine” experience. If the trail is open, that’s what I’d prefer. Please compare through http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg and http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/wengen-kleinescheidegg.

Please refer to http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s for more hiking suggestions.

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    14 September 2019 at 5:28:22 #922172

We just did this a few days ago and it was lovely as you’re walking toward Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau the whole time! It’s very easy and well marked and traveled.

The Mannlichen gondola is faster than 15 min. At the top, plan to first hike up to the “royal walk” at the peak. You have a great view of both mountains and the valley. And a terrific sign showing the major Eiger climbing routes.

I think it took us about 2 hours with a lot of stops. Beautiful day with no snow or other obstacles. Enjoy!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 September 2019 at 5:49:26 #922173

Hi Meemskirk –

A few photos .

The “Royal Walk” is the climb to Männlichen Gipfel from near the cableway station. “Gipfel” in this context means peak or summit.

Slowpoke

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    14 September 2019 at 5:52:15 #922174

Righto.

Fyi I have a tough time posting photos here! Trying again.

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    14 September 2019 at 6:32:03 #922175

Nice pixes Slowpoke! I have comparable but can’t load them here.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 September 2019 at 6:48:32 #922176

Hi Meemskirk! Too bad you can’t upload your pictures. Could they be too large?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 September 2019 at 6:50:04 #922177

Hi meemskirk/.

Nice image of the avalanche barriers.

To upload a file it must be less than 1 MB in size. *.jpg’s work, as do a few other formats.

I compress mine in Photoshop, but the moderators recommend some utilities that do the job. Maybe one of them will jump in.

Slowpoke

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    16 September 2019 at 5:56:09 #922178

Thanks a lot for the clarifications Annika!

The photos posted by slowspoke are absolutely beautiful!

Meemskirk you have also captured a very nice shot and in fact this is the first time I’ve seen “avalanche barriers “.Thanks for the useful tips and info!

How long will it take to climb the Männlichen Gipfel from the cableway station?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 September 2019 at 7:53:28 #922179

<<“How long will it take to climb the Männlichen Gipfel from the cableway station?”>>

How fit are you? How are you at hiking up a steep hill at 2300 meters?

You go up 121 meters in a map distance (straight line ) of about 600 meters:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=8&E=26 38043.85&N=1162836.54

The pictures require clear weather.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    17 September 2019 at 7:14:18 #922180

Slowpoke, it’s not really what we call a steep hill, and it is an earth road rather than a trail. But yes, they should be able to cope with the altitude. I’d say half an hour, one way. It’s easy to turn back if they decide it’s too much for them.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 September 2019 at 16:03:17 #922181

I attached a picture or two earlier in the thread. If you are fit and eager, and don’t mind the altitude, 15 minutes will do.

Some of it is rather narrow and rutted.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2019 at 11:49:11 #922182

We just returned from Switzerland and did a similar route to Jungfraujoch. We took the cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen (half fare) then hiked to Kleine Scheidegg, caught cog train to top (64 CHF round trip each with Swiss Half Fare Card), after returning to Kleine Scheidegg, we walked to Wengernalp. We had intended to catch train back to Wengen but it was so lovely we just continued walking all the way to Wengen. Very easy walking, well marked, and quite beautiful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2019 at 13:11:42 #922183

Hi Jomart50,

we would love to hear more about your holiday in Switzerland in the trip reports part of the forum: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports. Would you like to share your experiences with us? 🙂

• The thread ‘Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.