Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg OR First-Bachalpsee?

• bat23
    Participant
    24 posts
    31 December 2011 at 12:31:19 #804822

We are in the middle of our 30th planning to be in the middle of june (16-19) in Interlaken area – which of the following is more scenic/beautiful for this period.
    Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg
    First – Bachalpsee
    I mean the views, the animals, flowers, atmosphere, whatever will be remembered more and leave more impression? Besides it we will visit also the villages Murren, Wengen, lauterbrunnen (will stay there), falls, Grindelwald.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    31 December 2011 at 13:51:37 #834601

Both are gorgeous but my first pick would be Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg. This route affords spectacular views of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau peaks and terminates in KS — the base camp for Eiger ascents. The views here across to the glaciers are fabulous, as is the food! The First-Bachalpsee route is beautiful as well with a view of the lovely small lake and, on the return trip, a very photogenic view of the Wetterhorn peak. The ride up/back to First on the gondolas is also great fun.

You can combine the Männlichen – KS walk with a visit to Wengen as you end up starting, returning there. Likewise the First-Bachalpsee trip can be combined with a visit to Grindelwald. IMO, Grindelwald is nothing special — touristy and full of traffic and T-shirt shops so I’d skip it or see it as you walk through town to get to/from the First lift.

Be aware that neither trails may be open if there is late snow. Also, this year the Wengen to Männlichen cable car is not scheduled to open until June 10 due to maintenance. These things are usually done on time but you should check to make sure it is running before you go (the Lauterbrunnen or Wengen tourist office will know).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2012 at 12:29:02 #834602

If you have a vehicle and the time, I suggest a 1/2 day trip out of Lauterbrünnen to Isenfluh and Suwald. Interesting tunnel to Isenfluh and great viewpoint/overlook north past the top of the lift in Suwald.

• The thread ‘Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg OR First-Bachalpsee?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.