Mannlichen-Kleine/Murren-Gimmelwald walk parents

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2016 at 15:11:49 #852825

Hi Esskay-

Indeed, as you proceed toward Kleine Scheidegg, the gravel is ripe for slippage. That is why I mentioned the issue of slippage in my early posts. In fact, that is why I posted those images, to make sure you knew what the trail was like. Then, as you provided more information, I moved toward the suggestion of starting out along the trail for a short distance and then turning back. I don’t think that the trail would be a problem, but, of course, you know what is a problem or is not much better than I.

However, what you may have missed, is that near the Männlichen (LWM) upper lift station, and from there to the restaurant, and beyond at least as far as the playground and the lift station GGM (Grindelwald Grund Männlichen), the trail is paved. No gravel. Take a look once you get up there. At some point it switches to gravel, just beyond the lift station GGM mentioned by Traveljet (for the ride down to Grindelwald) which is just past the resataurant and near the playground, but the trail is still almost level for about a km.

I’d suggest that you rent some hiking staffs from one of the Intersport stores or other sporting goods stores…your hotel can suggest which one, or may even lend you hiking staffs. Take the staffs with you. Once you get up to Männlichen, take a look for yourself. Even if you only go to the lift station GGM for the ride down to Grindelwald, or only as far as the restaurant, or even don’t leave the lift station LWM, you’ll have great views. If the paved walkway or the trail looks OK to your parents, then you can go along it for a while, then turn back.

If you can get up there and see some of those views, you will have seen some of the best alpine views in Switzerland, and have a nice lunch or cup of coffee or tea while you are at it.

This link gives you an aerial view of the layout. Cows included

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=d e&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .swissimage&layers=ch. swisstopo.zeitreihen,c h.bfs.gebaeude_wohnung s_register,ch.swisstop o.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.swisstop o.landeskarte-farbe-10&layers_visibility=f alse,false,false,false &layers_timestamp=1864 1231,,,&X=162517.00&Y= 638511.00&zoom=10

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 12:18:43 #852826

Hahahahah @ cows included, yeah could spot them. Cows are very much a part of that picture postcard shot of Swiss Alps! I saw some even before reaching the place, hehehehehe…

Yes, am glad both of you took the time to share such detailed memories and photos of your trips which are beyond helpful. Will be much better prepared come September 😀

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    16 June 2016 at 13:02:55 #852827

Hope tou will let us know how your trip went come September. Happy planning!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 June 2016 at 15:35:03 #852828

<<“Will be much better prepared come September :D”>>

Glad that we could help.

Slowpoke

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘Mannlichen-Kleine/Murren-Gimmelwald walk parents’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.