Many questions about Switzerland trip -late April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 4:52:58 #814666

Hey!!

This is going to be a little long question.. please bear with me and help me with some good advise.

My husband and I are looking forward to visit Europe in the end of April for 7- 8 nights. I have always wanted to see Switzerland so we want atleast 5 nights over there. We love beautiful lakes and mountains, nightlife and sight seeing but not too much interested in meuseums and art work in general. Also we can’t do much hiking and skiing

So the first question is

1. Are these mountain peaks like mt. Titlis, Jungfraujoch, mt. rigi, Zermatt really different in experience or more or less the same??

2. Is it beneficial to make one place as base? If yes, which one will be better.. Interlaken or Luzern? As of now we are roughly interested in visiting Zurich(we are coming from India so that’s where we will arrive), Luzern, Zermatt, Lausanne, Mürren and mountain peaks

3. We have only 7-8 nights in hand. So will it be better for us to come to only Switzerland or do it like 5-6 nights in Switzerland and 2 in Paris/ Amsterdam.

Really waiting for some good replies so that we can plan a good vacation.

Thanks a lot!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    8 March 2018 at 10:45:36 #878046

I am regular follower of these forums and you will get very up-to-the-point answers by experts here.

Let me see if I can answer you, correctly.

1. Are these mountain peaks like mt. Titlis, Jungfraujoch, mt. rigi, Zermatt really different in experience or more or less the same??

I too had this Qs. The link here might help you. See Ans No 8

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Sho wTopic-g188045-i336-k11155175-7_Nights_Switzerland_i n_March-Switzerland.html

2. Is it beneficial to make one place as base? If yes, which one will be better.. Interlaken or Luzern?

With only 5/6 days, experts here will suggest you Lucerne and Wengen. If more then you ‘might’ add any one more base (Zermitt or Montreux)

My suggestion would be strea—-tch your holidays a little. Spend 7 days in Switzerland and few days in Amsterdam or Paris.

Wait for the experts suggestion,you will be replied soon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 14:29:18 #878047

Hi Aditigupta and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Thanks for the tips Sanjeev!

1. Tough question – mountains are similar of course, but each one is unique, with its own activities and methods of getting to the top (cable car, train, funicular etc). The best thing you can do is review our information pages on them and see which ones appeal to you the most: Titlis, Jungfraujoch, Rigi and Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn (both in Zermatt).
    2. Interlaken is a bit more central than Lucerne – but most people will tell you Lucerne is a prettier city! I would try 2 bases: Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen or Wengen or Grindelwald.
    3. With only 7/8 nights total for Europe I would stay in Switzerland for as long as you can (assuming mountain scenery is your objective. You can’t compare Paris or Amsterdam to any town in Switzerland though – it depends on what you want to see/do in Europe!
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 19:38:55 #878048

Hey thanks Sandeep and Lucas

so will it it be a good choice to shortlist mt Regis , Jung and Matterhorn out of all the mountain peaks ??

regarding the places to stay I would like to stay 3 nights in Luzern, one in Zurich and suggest for 3 other nights.. which place will be most scenic and make mountain day trips convenient?? Also would love to go to Lausanne and gstaad for a day trip.

Im pretty much decided on staying the whole week in Switzerland. Just that my husband is insisting that night life would be better in Amsterdam. Is it?? Or r there good clubs and pubs around here too??

thanks in abundance!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 19:43:09 #878049

You might want to read http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018 if you plan to stay in Jungfrau Region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 23:52:19 #878050

Hi Aditigupta

sorry to interrupt your thread but must say this!

Way to go Rockoyster – 2000 posts! congrats!

Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 March 2018 at 2:09:43 #878051

😎 Thanks Maggie. Onwards and upwards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 7:53:52 #878052

Hi Aditigupta,

For the other 3 nights I might look at something in the Jungfrau regionInterlaken is just ok as a town, but great for train connections. Lauterbrunnen is a bit nicer and has ok train connections, Wengen or Murren might be considered the nicest options but are a bit more remote (if you want to go to Gstaad and/or Lausanne as a day trip (on the Golden Pass route which you can start from Interlaken.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trips out from different towns to see what will work for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 10:15:05 #878053

Yes, you are really on a roll on the website! 🙂

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 March 2018 at 15:47:17 #878054

Hi Aditi,

I am Pratik and will be visiting Switzerland in end of April too. The experts on this forum has helped me to finalise my itinerary. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-for-8-nights-in-switzerland-in-aprilmay I thought of putting these links here in case if that will be helpful to you. See this as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/interlaken-montreux-broc-doable-in-1-day

Below will be my itinerary:

26th April, 2018 Arriving at Zurich Airport from India and take a train to Interlaken. Exploring local places of Interlaken

Night Stay: Interlaken

27th April, 2018 Visiting Place: Jungfraujoch and nearby places.

Route: Interlaken – Wengen – Kleine Scheidig – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald – Interlaken

28th April, 2018 Visiting Place: Jungfraujoch and nearby places.

Route: Interlaken – Murren – Schilthorn – Piz Gloria – Thrill Walk – Gimmelwald – Stechelberg – Trummelbach – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken

29th April, 2018 Visiting Places: Broc and Montreux

Route: Interlaken OST – Bern – Bulle – Broc-Fabrique – Bulle – Grandvillard – Montbovon – Montreux – Visp – Spiez – Interlaken Ost.

30th April, 2018 Visiting Places: Will checkout from Interlaken to Lucerne (by train)

Route: Lucerne – Stans – Stanserhorn – Lucerne (Lion Monument, Chapel Bridge)

Night Stay: Lucerne

01st May, 2018 Visiting Places: Mount Titlis

Route: Lucerne – Engelberg – Mount Titlis – Lucerne

02nd May, 2018 Visiting Places: Mount Rigi and Stoos

Route: Lucerne Weggis, Rigi, Vitznau, Brunnen, Stoos, Scheyz, Lucerne.

03rd May, 2018 Visiting Places: Will checkout from Lucerne and take train to Zurich and Rhine Falls

Route: Lucerne – Zurich – Local Zurich – Rhine Falls – Hotel Zurich

Night Stay – Hotel Zurich

04th May, 2018 Will take flight back to India from Zurich Airport

Hope, this will help to certain extent.

Pratik

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 March 2018 at 20:23:14 #878055

I was keen to find out what happened when I got to 2001. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 20:28:32 #878056

🎆🎉🎁 😁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 0:34:48 #878057

Re the mountain tops. All the high mountian peaks are different experiences, so all are worth doing.

Zermatt/Matterhorn and Jungfraujoch are ‘the classics’.

I always recommend Zermatt/Matterhorn over Jungfraujoch. Especially in April, Jungfraujoch is very cold when you reach the top, and the journey beyond Kleine Scheidegg is inside the mountain for quite a long time so you don’t see much.

Zermatt – Gornergrat is much better – in the open most of the way with spectacular views of the Matterhorn.

Rigi is quite a low altitude peak with great lake views, with the advantage that you can go up one way (Arth Rigi railway – blue trains) and come back the other (VItznau – Rigi railway – red trains)

Titlis is more of a ski resort destination

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 2:49:04 #878058

Hi rockoyster,

Adding my congrats too! Though feeling a bit miffed at being left so far behind 😉

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 March 2018 at 3:07:00 #878059

Well you will go skiving off and leaving me with open slather during the European nights. 🤓

Where have you been? Missed your detailed eye.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 3:27:12 #878060

>> Where have you been?

In hospital, getting myself a shiny new knee! Looking forward to putting it through its paces in Switzerland next year 🙂

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 March 2018 at 3:51:00 #878061

Wow! That was not the answer I was expecting. Thought you must have been off on a train somewhere.

Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery. 🤓

Here’s something to work on http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/questions-about-train-travel seeing you have a bit of catching up to do!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 7:05:05 #878062

>> Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery

Thanks!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 11:12:35 #878063

Hey thanks Pratik. We would be visiting on exactly the same dates. That’s some coincidence. Thanks for sharing your itinerary. It looks good and covers quite a bit.

We are also planning since a week and yet dont have anything finalised yet. The only thing is I’m not pretty convinced about staying in Interlaken so looking for some place with better views and good connectivity too.

thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 11:16:02 #878064

So basically I must cover Zermatt and Jung. And can skip Titlis. Thanks! So for these Interlaken is a better base or Lauterbrunnen or Lucerne??

also, how are places like Lausanne and gstaad. Are these also a must visit??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 11:58:12 #878065

Really appreciate all your suggestions. I’m sure they would help me plan a good trip.

One of the main objectives of coming to Switzerland is enjoying its nature and scenery.

So which pnaromic trains and glacier expresses and other trains we must take to get to see the most pretty views

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • The thread ‘Many questions about Switzerland trip -late April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.