Many questions now as the day gets nearer

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2010 at 23:39:34 #803887

Hi, suddenly I have lots of questions when the day to visit Switzerland gets nearer! I hope the folks here can help :

1. How to reserve (reservation only) the Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt ? I visit the website, as of now(2 Jul), it does not allow reservation for 1-Aug ? (But it says able to book 1 month before)

2. I will buy a Swiss Pass upon arrival, can I reserve without the a valid Swiss Pass at this point ?

3. The credit card payment is online or when I collect the reservation documents ?

4. There appear to have 2 rhb sites for reservation
    https://www.rhb.ch/Reservation-Glacier-Express.932.0.html?&L=4
    and
    http://www.glacierexpress.ch/EN/spezial_offers/Pages/GlacierExpressStep1.aspx?catalog=GlacierExpress&productId=1001
    Which one can I use for seat reservation only ? (The http://www.rhb.ch site needs alot of travellers information). As I did not follow thru, please advice me: can choose seat on the train ?

5. Is it critical to reserve the GE for 1 month before my ride ? Can I reserve sucessfully 3/4 days before my ride ?

6. At some point I will be staying in Andermatt, near the train station. How can I visit the Teufelsbrücke ? What is the best approach ?

7. How can I reserve the Yellow Postal bus – Romantic route express (to Grindelwald) before arrival ? If possible, let me know where are the stops/restpoints if any ? I am concern where can I get lunch.

8. And also the Bernina Express bus 5950 to Tirano ?

9. Any recommendations where to get cheap TGV tickets to Paris ? Need I book 1 month before. What is the chances of grabbing those cheap tickets 10 days before, that is when I arrived and buy it immdiately at Swiss airport ?

10. Travelling in a group of 4 adults, how to reserve the family ‘cell’ in the TGV ?

Many questions here. I realised I have not prepared myself enough yet. Please help.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    2 July 2010 at 6:03:28 #831482

Hello Libbis,

1. How to reserve (reservation only) the Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt ? I visit the website, as of now(2 Jul), it does not allow reservation for 1-Aug ? (But it says able to book 1 month before)
    More information about how to make reservations for the Glacier Express can be found on this site.

Although your Swiss Pass will be valid for trains like the Glacier Express, please note that you will have to pay for the reservation. Maybe August 1 is a popular date for the Glacier Express since it’s a Swiss National Day, which might explain why you can’t make reservations for that date.

2. I will buy a Swiss Pass upon arrival, can I reserve without the a valid Swiss Pass at this point ?
    Yes, you can make reservations if you don’t have your Swiss Pass yet.
    Did you know that you can order your Swiss Pass here?

3. The credit card payment is online or when I collect the reservation documents ?
    I think it works like this: you pay when you collect the reservation documents. If you make reservations online, they ask you for your credit card information as a sort of guarantee. But if you fill out the form, I think you will find the answer. Furthermore I think you can find many answers on the Railway FAQ. (scroll to part E)

4. There appear to have 2 rhb sites for reservation
    If you make reservations for the Glacier Express, a seat will be reserved for you. If the train is not crowded, you can choose your own seat. I would always do that after asking the personnel (own expercience). Just follow the instructions here. I would always make reservations during the high season!

5. Is it critical to reserve the GE for 1 month before my ride ? Can I reserve sucessfully 3/4 days before my ride ?
    I would make reservations as early as possible. If you want to know if there is still place on August 1 you might consider a telephone call.

6. At some point I will be staying in Andermatt, near the train station. How can I visit the Teufelsbrücke ? What is the best approach ?
    You can hike from Andermatt to Göschenen through the Schöllenenschlucht, and you will cross the Teufelsbrücke. There is a small restaurant there.
    The bridge is about 1,2 Km. from the train station of Andermatt.
    If you have more questions you can go to the Gotthard Tourismus in Andermatt.

7. How can I reserve the Yellow Postal bus – Romantic route express (to Grindelwald) before arrival ? If possible, let me know where are the stops/restpoints if any ? I am concern where can I get lunch.
    You will find information about reservations for Postal Buses here.
    As far as lunch is concerned: you will most probably find places to have lunch or to buy something on many places. I would not worry about that! Just to make sure you can take lunch with you before you start the tour.

8. And also the Bernina Express bus 5950 to Tirano ?
    For reservations: just view this link.

9. Any recommendations where to get cheap TGV tickets to Paris ? Need I book 1 month before. What is the chances of grabbing those cheap tickets 10 days before, that is when I arrived and buy it immdiately at Swiss airport ?
    You can purchase tickets to Paris through this site and in this reservation system you just have to change “London” into your place of departure and fill out “Paris” as place of destination.

10. Travelling in a group of 4 adults, how to reserve the family ‘cell’ in the TGV ?
    Making reservations is just a matter of following the steps in the system (link given in answer 9).

I tried my best and I hope it helps!

Lots of success,

• The thread ‘Many questions now as the day gets nearer’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.