Matterhorn view from Zermatt station?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:30:55 #815209

Hi,

We will be taking the early morning train from Interlaken to Zermatt to catch the Glacier Express from Zermatt. Is it possible to get views of the Matterhorn from the Zermatt railway station?

Thanks,

Smita

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:37:04 #881520

Hi Smita,

Yes, technically. But the weather has to cooperate and the Matterhorn is known for having clouds obstructing the peak quite regularly. How much time will you have in Zermatt?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 0:19:59 #881521

I worked out this question was linked to an earlier thread.

As such – I see that the OP wants to travel to Zermatt in order to catch the Glacier Express from Zermatt eastwards.

Going back to its inception in 1930, the ‘geography’ of the Glacier Express (GEX) route/service was never intended for passengers wanting to travel on it having arrived at one of its terminus points an hour or so before the GEX departs.

As such it is somewhat pointless travelling to Zermatt just to come straight back down the valley. If starting from Interlaken it is better to catch the eastbound train at Visp or Brig.

As regards the question, the Matterhorn is not visible properly from directly outside Zermatt station. You have to walk along the street to see it, and it might be in the clouds and invisible anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 0:20:08 #881522

>> Is it possible to get views of the Matterhorn from the Zermatt railway station?

There are a lot of buildings around the station area. I don’t recall being able to see the Matterhorn from outside the station, but I might be wrong. If you can see it, it will not be an unobstructed view.

You can use Google Maps street view to see what it is like around the station in Zermatt.

My post of Dec 12, 2017 – 3:13 on the following page describes some parts of Zermatt village from where you can get a reasonably good view of the Matterhorn:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/visiting-brig-and-chur-making-the-most-of-it

Of course, you do need clear weather. Last time I was in Zermatt, you would not know there were any mountains in the vicinity at all, as they were all obscured by fog!

Alpenrose

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    9 April 2018 at 10:47:55 #881523

You have to walk about half way down the Main Street (5 minutes) to get a decent view of the Matterhorn, weather permitting of course

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    13 April 2018 at 0:28:08 #881524

Regarding View of the Matterhorn:

Weather permitting, in my opinion the most reliable, and perhaps memorable view of the Matterhorn is from the bridge (Riedstrasse / Kirschstrasse) over the Visp river below St. Mauritius Church and directly adjacent to the cemetery.

lkdf62

• The thread ‘Matterhorn view from Zermatt station?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.