May: 6 days Jungfrau region. Which rail pass?

• Lindenwood
    Participant
    6 posts
    3 May 2023 at 9:12:55 #829752

Hi i will be on jungfrau region may 12th to 17th and this will be my initial itinerary (still open for suggestions).

12 Arrive in grindelwald- Afternoon: Glacier Canyon Grindelwald

13 Grindelwald- first cable car

• Hike To Bachalpsee

• First Cliff Walk

• First Flyer/First Glider/Mountain Carts/Trotti Bike

14 Lauterbrunnen- Staubach waterfall- Trummelbach falls- Murren- Gimmelwald.

Do you have any other suggestions for this?

15. Jongfraujoch Schynige platte (botanical alpine garden) Wengen- mannlichen Mannlichen- Royal walk (Panorama trail from manlichen to schynige platte)

*NOT SURE IF OPEN ON MAY.

16. Interlaken-harder klum, boat ride on lake brienz. Giesbach falls, Iseltwald, Hohematte park.

17. Interlaken

Boat trip lake thun- lake thun old town- oberhofen castle-bridge sigriswil- Saint Beatus Caves.

Is everything open on MAY?

What pass should i get for this kind of itinerary?

I notice that somedays are raining in jungfrau region is it possible to do this even though its raining?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    3 May 2023 at 15:42:13 #954048

Hello Lindenwood,

Thank you for sharing your plans.

Given your itinerary, I think the Jungfrau Travel Pass would be a good fit for your trip. You can read all about the pass in the below link, including where you can buy the pass, the coverage map and how to use:

If you are wanting to check if things are open/running, take a look at the activity pages and if there any maintenance breaks taking place for the cable cars or trains. This will be detailed in the “route” tab. For example: Wengen to Männlichen, you will see that the cable car is not resuming till 26 May, 2023: https://www.myswissalps.com/mannlichen/gettingthere

For more ideas in the Lauterbrunnen area, have a look here: https://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen/activities, perhaps if time /weather permits, a hike from Suwald to Grütschalp Here, you can enjoy some amazing views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.

Yes, best to check the weather forecast before embarking on any hikes. The forecast is a little more accurate 2 to 3 days in advance. If you are seeing rain forecast now, it could well change nearer to your arrival. Spring is on its way 🙂 If it’s light drizzle, you will find most activities are still doable but if you are visiting Jungfraujoch, it’s best to go when the weather is fine to enjoy the views.

More useful links based on your plans:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Lindenwood
    Participant
    6 posts
    3 May 2023 at 18:05:34 #954049

Thanks for this yolanda. Base on my itinerary if wengen to manlichen is still close. What can you suggest after visiting jongfraujoch?

Is there any places in jungfrau region that i missed in my itinerary. This is my 1st time going here so i would like to maximize my stay here.

Thanks.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    4 May 2023 at 4:13:17 #954050

Hello Lindenwood,

After visiting Jungfraujoch, perhaps you could take the train down to Kleine Scheidegg and do the panoramic walk that way? That said, It would mean hiking back to Kleine Scheidegg. Afterwards, you would catch the train to Wengen. More details below and do use the timetable link to check the train departure times.

Or if you are feeling adventurous and the weather is fine, you could instead hike down to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegg? More information below – you would be doing the walk in reverse so it should be less demanding as you are going downhill.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘May: 6 days Jungfrau region. Which rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.